Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to backup mailboxes in voicemail only Unity 4.0(4) SR1 server

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

I am trying to use DIRT to back up unity database as well as mailboxes. But, when i choose the options of backing up mailoxes unity gives me a messages that i do not have sufficient permissions ( send as receive as permissions in exchange.

I am loggin in unityadmin. Unity admin is a member of domain admins and is also a full exchange administrator, any ideas????

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) create a new UnityDirt windows account (does not need a mailbox)

2) Add UnityDirt account to the builtin Administrators group to give it rights to SQL

database. Do not add it Enterprise or Domain administratos groups.

3) Add UnityDirt account to the Exchange Domain Servers Group to give it rights to

mailboxes

XADM: How to Get Service Account Access to All Mailboxes in Exchange 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;262054

thanks for the response. I am slighty confussed .

I did exactly what you told me and i logged into unity using the dirtbackup account and i still got the same error ( do not have send and receive rights)

1) Created a new user.

2) made it a member of the administrator group ( under users and computers). i have only 1 box which is a domain controller and has exchange 2000 and unity.

3) then i went to exchange and delegated control to the user "exchange full administrator"

in exchange it did give me a message that the i need to add the user to the local admin group as well????

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Step 3 is wrong. You do not want to delegate control - remove UnityDirt account before proceeding.

Open ADUC, Find the Exchange Domain Servers group, add the UnityDirt account as a member.

Thanks it worked, but i am still not sure where exactly to go under ADUC and find exchange server group.

Do you know why i can not use the other accounts to do it, the ones i created for unity install, i have domain admin and full administrator rights to exchange.

will i have to log in using the dirtbackup account to backup or i can simply login once and set the schedule and it would run automatically in the backgroud?

Thanks

The limits here are imposed based on Send as/recieve as rights to the mailstores in question - DiRT uses ExMerge and has no control over this. for accounts that are in the Domain Admin group, they are explicitly denied SA/RA rights in the mailstore (this is an MS imposed limitation) - so simply adding users to more groups doesn't help you here, it works against you. this is why DiRT does the SA/RA rights before letting you proceed.

You will need to use an account that has SA/RA rights on all mailstores that home one or more subscribers if you want to backup messages - this mean it cannot be a member of domain admins or enterprise admins and such.