Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity and G.729 Calls

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I need to know if Cisco Unity supports G.729 calls or no?

what I know it does not.

I have a customer has a lot of branches and centralized CUCMs and Unity in HQ.

I placed the phones in HQ in HQ device pool. HQ region

and phones in BR1 in BR1 device pool. BR1 Region

Voice mail ports are in HQ device pool.

so if IP phone in HQ called Unity the call is G.711ulaw here no problem.

I was surprised when I plced call from IP phone in BR1 device pool to Unity and Unity accept the call and I checked the call by pressing ?? and it was G.729.

I checked the Media resources conifguration I do not have any transcoder defined in the Cluster.

any advise??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, Unity Connection is the same. CUE supports only g.711. See the following link for the steps to disable g.729 in Unity Connection.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag140.html

The advantage of forcing an external transcoder is increased performance. With a handful of calls being transcoded in software by Unity, there is no problem. If you ask Unity to transcode thousands of g.729 calls, you're going to see performance issues with the Unity server.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

By default, Unity will transcode g.729 calls in software. You can disable this software transcoding and force an external transcoder if desired.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Do you know if it is the same for Cisco Unity Connection?

I believe for CUE I must use Transcoder.

Could you please provide me how to disable the software transcoder? and there any advantage to disable it?

Yes, Unity Connection is the same. CUE supports only g.711. See the following link for the steps to disable g.729 in Unity Connection.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag140.html

The advantage of forcing an external transcoder is increased performance. With a handful of calls being transcoded in software by Unity, there is no problem. If you ask Unity to transcode thousands of g.729 calls, you're going to see performance issues with the Unity server.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thank you too much for your help,

we are going to deploy CUCCX in HQ what I know CUCCX only support G.711 or G729 is there a software transcoder in CUCCX?

No software transcoder in UCCX. You would need an external transcoder to support both codecs.

Hope this helps.

Brandon