cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity and Variable Length Extentions/Dial Plan

kleo
Level 3
Level 3

I have a Avaya switch that is running both 4 and 5 digit extentions and I want to connect a new unity 4.x for voicemail. Any issue with running variable length extentions in unity?

Also i will be eventually transitioning all the avaya users to a 5 digit dial plan. Any issues in the future when chaning a 4 digit mailbox to 5 ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As long as the extensions are unique, you can have mixed lengths no problem - 3, 4, 5, 10 - go wild.

No problem changing them after the fact. The only restrictions are 3 digit minimum (I forget the maximum off hand - it's like 30 digits), and they have to be unique in the dialing domain - that's it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As long as the extensions are unique, you can have mixed lengths no problem - 3, 4, 5, 10 - go wild.

No problem changing them after the fact. The only restrictions are 3 digit minimum (I forget the maximum off hand - it's like 30 digits), and they have to be unique in the dialing domain - that's it.

Since you'll be integrating with an Avaya PBX there's one other thing to watch out for. If you use a PBXLink for call info integration, it uses SMDI which pads extensions on the left with a zero character. In most cases this is not a problem. However, it can cause complications if you plan to use extensions that begin with a zero. For example, by default Unity will take 0000123 from SMDI to be x123 and 0001234 to be x1234. If you've also got an x0123, then things get complicated.

Jeff,

Aren't there problems in Unity with matching timeouts if there is overlap in the beginning part of a subscriber ID? For instance if I have ID 4578 and ID 45786, won't that cause trouble? I know this is specifically addressed for networking, but does it also apply to extensions in one Unity box? Thank you and sorry for adding to this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a008011a5b2.html#wp1064655

Jeff,

Aren't there problems in Unity with matching timeouts if there is overlap in the beginning part of a subscriber ID? For instance if I have ID 4578 and ID 45786, won't that cause trouble? I know this is specifically addressed for networking, but does it also apply to extensions in one Unity box? Thank you and sorry for adding to this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a008011a5b2.html#wp1064655

There wont be any behavior differences for dialing an ID if there's overlapping numbers or not - we always wait for a terminator ("#") or the inter digit timeout (by default 1500 ms) regardless. We don't terminate and go automatically if you dial an ID (or a name or whatever) once it gets to a unique match. The logic is the same regardless and, as a result, the user experience is the same regardless.

This applies to dialing IDs from the auto attendant or addressing messages by ID or whatever - issues with addressing to users in a networked setup are a bit different, of course, given the large list of matches that could potentially have to be given to users when addressing - which is what you need to be careful with when planning a large, multiple system deployment.