Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 14 Outcalling Caller ID Masking

Lester Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

Trying to find a way for the User System Transfer function in Unity to mask the caller ID of the caller's ID with something else.  

Our field techs call customers from their cell phones through an existing Avaya phone system that we will be retiring in the near future. We would like to use our Cisco CUCM/Unity to replace that functionality. 

That functionality allows those field tech calls calls to appear on the customer's phones with our customer service number and name.  In other words, Instead of Joe Tech X.X.X (his cell phone) showing up on their caller ID's, we want our customers to see Acme Inc X.X.X on their caller ID's instead when calls are going through Unity's User System Transfer function.

Right now, the Cisco Unity User System Transfer will ring up a customer's phone with the field tech's name/caller ID.  But I can't see any masking functionality when that call leaves Unity and goes back into CUCM.  

One possible solution may be to set up a separate telephony integration in Unity to CUCM and the caller ID translation in that SIP trunk - but those outbound-only ports would be flagged as 'perform message notification', 'send MWI requests' and 'allow TRAP connections' only - correct?  

Thanks! 

3 Replies 3

So your techs are using their cell phones to call customers that exist on the PSTN, do I have that right? (As opposed to techs calling customers that are internal to the organization.)

One possibility would be to set up a Calling Party Transformation CSS (with Calling party transformations) and apply that to the "Incoming Calling Party Settings" on the CUC SIP Trunk. The specific patterns created would capture each cell phone CLID and replace it with Acme Inc's CLID number. Since the patterns would match only on the cell phone numbers, other calls coming back from CUC would be unaffected.

Here is a link to a community discussion where calls coming in from the PSTN over a SIP Trunk are transformed using this technique. Calls coming in from CUC over a SIP Trunk would be effectively the same thing.  How to translate or transform (add prefix) for incoming call from PSTN 

That doesn't solve the name part, though. That might have to be done as a SIP Profile on the SIP Trunk going to your CUBE, changing the name portion of CLID with "Acme Incorporated" if a specific CLID is matched - that of Acme corp. A SIP Normalization script on CUCM would also do this, but I think the SIP Profile on the CUBE would be easier.

This is a good problem and I will give it additional thought. Hopefully another person here will have better magic than I am coming up with.

Maren

You could also do this with Mobile Voice Access in CUCM.

@Elliot Dierksen I was thinking the same thing, but MVA is such a pain in the backside that I'm hoping some other solution comes up.

Maren