Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection - some users way over quota

lisacoody
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a Unity Connection 10.5 server with about 375 voice mail accounts.

A few users are WAY over the send / receive quota. I've asked them repeatedly to please clear out some messages, but they never do anything about it because they don't have to - they know they will keep getting messages from outside callers. Internal callers are blocked, but end-users will just send an email to the person. 

Is there a way I can apply the "Full Mailbox Check for Outside Caller Messages" option to just these few accounts or is it system-wide only?

How other admins handle this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vaibhav Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lisa,

The mailbox quota option is a system-wide parameter for setting the "Full mailbox check for outside callers". Although, in my suggestion you can setup a message aging policy with certain settings in there which can be like deleting the messages after a certain period of time. And that message aging policy can be applied onto certain selected users which you think are having the issue of flooded messages. 

For further reference you can check the doc:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/administration/guide/10xcucsagx/10xcucsag090.html#pgfId-1095067

Hope this helps.

ViBsyy

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Vaibhav Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lisa,

The mailbox quota option is a system-wide parameter for setting the "Full mailbox check for outside callers". Although, in my suggestion you can setup a message aging policy with certain settings in there which can be like deleting the messages after a certain period of time. And that message aging policy can be applied onto certain selected users which you think are having the issue of flooded messages. 

For further reference you can check the doc:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/administration/guide/10xcucsagx/10xcucsag090.html#pgfId-1095067

Hope this helps.

ViBsyy

Before implementing a new aging policy for particular users, I just thought of another question.

I just created an aging policy where any new messages are moved to the "saved" messages folder after 60 days and the "saved" messages are moved to the "deleted" folder after 30 days and then permanently deleted after 15 days. There are some messages in those voice mail accounts that are a year old - what will happen to them when the policy is applied? 

Will this policy apply to messages that have already been "read" or just "new" messages?

Thanks!

Lisa

Once you create the new message aging policy and apply it onto the users mailbox, it will refer to the timestamps of the messages in the mailbox like when the user sent messages to the deleted folder or what were the saved messages and all. So, it will take affect on both the old and the new messages every time the task is executed. And the task gets executed everyday and at an interval of 30 minutes.

You can check the task scheduler by going to the unity connection admin page and then scroll down on the left menu and click "Task Management" and there you will see all the tasks in place. Check the  "Message aging" and then from the menu click edit and select task schedules. There you will see the schedule in detail.

Hope it helps!!

ViBsyy

Thank you again for your reply - I found it very helpful.

So, if I apply my newly created policy to the offenders' mailboxes, any messages that are over 60 days old will immediately be moved to the "saved" folder and stay there for 30 days. After 30 days, they will be moved to the "deleted" folder and stay there for 15 days. After that time has elapsed, they will be permanently flushed. Is that correct?

Thank you!

Lisa

lisacoody
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for your reply and for providing a link to help me create a new aging policy. I will definitely investigate that option.

Thanks!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Just thought I might add a reference to this excellent Unity Tool that will allow you to quickly empty the mailbox of all messages without changing any other settings the user may have. Most users who get to this point will tell you "it's too much work" to deal with the large number of messages they have and that it would "take them too long" to deal with them .....you can really help them out here by offering to clean things up for them with the use of this tool (using the reset function - empty mailbox);

Unity Connection Bulk User Delete

For resetting users you have the option of emptying the mailbox, resetting greetings, deleting voice names, resetting passwords, removing private lists and a number of other options you may choose.

From;

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/BulkUserDelete/Help/ConnectionBulkUserDelete.htm#_Toc239146394

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks, Rob! I get requests like this from time to time; it would be great to be able to do that. I'll check in to it!

Lisa

As an alternative to you having to do the work for them, try this instead.  Give them the web address https://x.x.x.x/inbox (replcacing the x.x.x.x with your Unity servers ip address), have the user use their network credentials to log in and they can then manage their own voicemail box, including delete messages in mass without having to listen to them again.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I appreciate your input.

I've enabled web inbox and have been playing around with it - I agree, it will be a valuable tool for those people who need to get rid of a bunch of voice mails quickly. When I tried to log in to my account, it would not let me use my network credentials, though my account is integrated with LDAP. Instead, I reset my Web Application password and gained access that way. 

Lisa

EDIT - I figured out to configure LDAP Authentication for End Users and now my domain password works! So cool!