cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Hiding Public List from GAL

mperbix
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to hide public lists in the GAL without adverse affect to Unity using that list? And when that list is updated...do I have to continually check on it, or once hidden, it stays hidden..?

-Mike

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no problem doing this with either subscribers or distribution lists. In later versions of Unity (4.0(4) and later) we expose the "show distribution list in e-mail server address book" in the SA so you can hide/show it without having to fiddle around in AD.

So once I create the distribution list, and that box is NOT checked then it should not show up in the GAL...correct?

At this point, I have 2 lists that have that box NOT checked and both still show up in the GAL when I go to Outlook and look at the list.

Also, if I delete a list, does it get deleted from the GAL as well?

When you create a new distribution list, even though the box is not checked upon creation the list still shows in AD, one you make ANY changes (like hte name) or you check the box to show the group, SAVE then uncheck the box, it honors the hidden bit. It is just misleading at first, if the box is unchecked but the group is actually not hidden.

Thank you.

-Mike

First, no, we don't ever delete anything in the directory when you delete it in the SA - we don't want to open that kind of security hold in a site - this is true of both subscribers and DLs.

I believe we have to create the list (by default it's visible) and then you have to say to hide it - sounds like a UI problem with the SA...