cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Slow Message Retrieval

steve.sarrick
Level 1
Level 1

Users with large mailboxes have long wait times (3 minutes) before they are able to access their messages. I just upgraded to 4.0.5 thinking it may get better with new hardware. The first question is will this get better if I reduce the inbox size only (using subfolders) or do I have to actually reduce the mailbox total size? Second, is there anyway to speed up response without disrupting the customers need to store many messages in their inbox?

11 Replies 11

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So which version of Unity did you upgrade from? How long has the system been up and running since you upgraded?

Just chatting with some of the back end folks - in Unity 4.0(4) they added search folders for the message stacks Unity provides (new messages, saved messages, etc...) - which greatly sped up the inbox conversation - without the search folders Unity has to make a request to Exchange to give us the counts and handles to all messages which match a particular criteria (unread, tagged as a voice mail, sorted by arrival date...) - with a very large mailbox this can take a while every time you call in.

With search folders in place and populated in the mailbox itself (they're essentially hidden objects in the inbox that act as a mailbox index - many applications add their own and use them for the same types of reasons) we can get a count and lists of messages for various types we need very quickly and it's much faster over the phone.

After upgrading it can take a while for all these indexes to build for all users mailboxes. Until the folders are built completely, Unity will still use the old method of mailbox access.

so, short story, if Unity has been up and running for a few days and you're still experiencing very long delays when calling in to mailboxes, it'd be best to open a case with TAC to investigate. If it's not been that long, I'd hang tight for another day first and see if there is improvement.

We upgrade them from 3.1.6 to 4.0.5, but that was just on Saturday. I will give it to mid week to open a TAC case. There total information store is around 100 Gig for around 700 users (broken up into storage groups of course). Thanks for the info, it is very helpful.

I just performed a 4.0(5) upgrade this weekend. Our user community instatntly noticed today that there are pauses between the menu prompts. I had the idea of what you described, inbox size affecting the reponse time. That idea was laid aside after I create a new account with an inbox size of 0 and the delays are still there. Basically in 4.0(4) the conversation is quick and continuous. In 4.0(5) there are multiple pauses that add up to a very choppy flow. Any ideas? I started a TAC case but no info yet.

4.0(4) Example --> "Hello you have 11 voicemails"

4.0(5) Example --> "Hello......you have 11 voicemails"

Did you find out anything on this. I just recently completed a 3.1.5 to 4.0.5 upgrade. Several users are starting to complain of the delay.

Can you define the delay you are experiancing? Is it the login or the conversation? I located a bug in the current 4.0(5) code that causes a delay in conversation not login.

The users are having a delay in the conversation.

I have found a control for a delay in the conversation. The typical conversation goes, "Hello you have 2 new voicemails." With the delay the conversation sounds like this, "Hello.........you have 2 new voicemails." The delay is seen throughout conversations also.

If you load up the advanced settings tool and look at the key for CONVERSATION - SET "DOUBLE KEY PRESS" TIME you might notice the setting here may be the delay time you hear. If I set this timer to 100ms the delay is gone. The bad part is that it still seems to be used for double key press time.

We are using optional conversation 1 and we have this key set to 925ms.

Is this behavior what you are seeing?

Thanks, I will look into this.

We are having a similar problem, but extreme delay also exists after the user enters their password, and before Unity states the username back. such as "enter your password" (you enter PW)......big long pause....."Hello, you have 5 new messages"

Any thoughts on this? Is this related to searching the mailboxes as well? We are using 4.0(5).

Any help would be good.....

Cordially,

Jan

We upgraded from 3.3(3) to 4.1(3)sr2 on friday and today voicemail started to take breaks.

the pauses are between prompts and the ones you have mentioned, hello... please enter your password..., etc.

the message itself runs ok.

Did you guys find a fix?

For the folks seeing the "Hello.........you have 2 new voicemails" delay in 4.0(5), this is a bug in the 4.0(5) conversation, CSCsb71206. There is an ES available from TAC that should allow you to bump up the double key press time without introducing this delay.

-Eric