cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unrestricted active and Restricted inactive switch version and upgrade

ansonantoo
Level 1
Level 1

My CUCM & Unity clusters are with 8.6.2 Unrestricted in active version and 8.0.3 in inactive version. Now we are planning to upgrade it to 10.5 restricted version. Since the upgrade documents clearly saying UNRST to RST upgrade is not possible, I am thinking to do a switch version from 8.6.2 UNRST to 8.0.3 RST version then upgrade to 8.6.2 RST (as per upgrade path) then to 10.5 RST.

Appreciate expert opinions to clarify below points before proceeding,

1. Would UNRST SW support TFTP encryption (even Cisco says media/signal is not possible with UNRST)?

2. Though the 8.6 UNRST > 8.0 RST > 8.6RST switch versions/upgrade are tested in LAB, is it recommended on prodcution cluster?

3. If I build a 10.5 fresh cluster and migrate the configuration (using BAT, Manual) what are the licensing requirements to be taken care? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1. TFTP encryption requires Cluster security mode to be set to Mixed Mode which is not possible with unrestricted version

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/security/8_5_1/secugd/sec-851-cm/secuencp.html

2. I believe this is not supported as per documentation "After you install an unrestricted release, you can never upgrade to a restricted version. You will not even be allowed to fresh install a restricted version on a system that contains an unrestricted version." Since the inactive partition contains the unrestricted version it is likely to fail. As per you this worked in your lab but i would recommend getting a confirmation on this by opening a case with Cisco.

3. You need to contact licensing@cisco.com to get details of the same. The procedure for a normal 8.6 to 10.5 upgrade is well defined for licensing but for doing a fresh install of 10.5 you need to check with the licensing team if they can help with the same.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1. TFTP encryption requires Cluster security mode to be set to Mixed Mode which is not possible with unrestricted version

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/security/8_5_1/secugd/sec-851-cm/secuencp.html

2. I believe this is not supported as per documentation "After you install an unrestricted release, you can never upgrade to a restricted version. You will not even be allowed to fresh install a restricted version on a system that contains an unrestricted version." Since the inactive partition contains the unrestricted version it is likely to fail. As per you this worked in your lab but i would recommend getting a confirmation on this by opening a case with Cisco.

3. You need to contact licensing@cisco.com to get details of the same. The procedure for a normal 8.6 to 10.5 upgrade is well defined for licensing but for doing a fresh install of 10.5 you need to check with the licensing team if they can help with the same.

HTH

Manish

Hi,

[+5] to Manish for sharing his views.

To add further, the configuration changes made in 8.6 would not get replicated to 8.0 after u go for switch over .So, u need to re-enter the configuration in 8.0 as per 8.6

For licensing , you can get the licenses from licensing team if opt for BAT.You need to place the order through PUT and share the SO to get permanent licenses.

regds,

aman

thank you Manish

BR

Anson

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: