Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from 6.1.3 to 8.6.x

dimensyssrl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I'd like to know the correct procedure for the upgrade process in object.

We have a production infrastructure with 3 CUCM 6.1.3 (one pub and two sub).

We'd like to use one of the existant servers (that is supported) and one new server, to upgrade to 8.6.x.

We'll buy a new server supporting 8.6.x and 6.1.5, so I think that procedure is:

- upgrade old infrastructure to 6.1.5

- upgrade old supported server to 8.6.x

- install new server with 8.6.x as subscriber of the new infrastructure

Or is it better to use new server as publisher?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Daniele

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Either way works, you can have a mixture of old/new servers (preferably that support the same number of endpoints/users)

It's just a matter of personal preference, if you believe the old server has chances of failing, you might want to use the new one for the PUB.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Daniele

A word of warning that I posted in this thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3783996#3783996

I tried this upgrade - 6.1(5) to 8.6(2) - which resulted in the Publisher being unable to boot. Only solution was a complete reinstall and restore from backup.

Ensure you have a valid DRS backup of your current Publisher before you start this - and also have access to bootable 6.1(5) media so you can reinstall if you need to.

I tried this upgrade 3 times. The first two times it failed as per the above thread. The third time I selected the option for it not to boot to the new release after the upgrade - and it worked. I'm not sure if this was related or not.

I had already migrated my publisher to a Virtual Machine under VMWare before I started this so it caused me a lot of pain in terms of time, but no downtime to the customer.

Hope this helps.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions.