cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from CUCM 8.6.2 to 12.0x (manually)

a.burlaos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May I know if someone tried to upgrade 8.6.2 to 12.0 manually (without using PCD)? Is it working and do you have procedures?

Thank you,

Arvie

9 Replies 9

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

If you are upgrading from a CUCM 8.6 installed on a MCS server then PCD is the only supported migration path. but if its Virtualized you can go with the manual OS admin way (Refresh Upgrade).

I would do like this to be staged first in a lab.

1. Spin up the VMs
  2. Install 8.6 CUCM with same IP/Hostname
  3. Restore and make CUCM identical with old CUCM
  4. Install cop file (below listed)
  5. Upgrade

You need the below cop files

Required COP files: • ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

Optional COP files:  • ciscocm.vmware-disk-size-reallocation-.cop.sgn)

• ciscocm.free_common_space_v.cop.sgn

Above steps are just high level as there are lot of planning/prep needs to be taken care of. Please go through the upgrade guide thoroughly.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/12_0_1/cucm_b_upgrade-and-migration-guide-1201.pdf

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Hi, 

Thank you for the reply. Actually my original CUCM version is 7.1.3 (mcs) and i already restored the backup to 7.1.3 (vm). I also upgraded it to 8.6.2 also but my issue is that i didn't load the cop files before i upgraded to 8.6.2 and i cannot upgrade from 8.6.2 to 12.0 because i don't have a valid or demo license for 8.6.2. 

I would say you have to start redoing it. Migrate the 7.1.3. Install the refresh cop file. Move to 8.6, then follow the above steps I posted in previous message.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

Hi, 

I've tried your procedure it is still the same. After upgrading to 8.6.2 and about to upgrade to 12 but still i received erros. 

This is a license error. How you are going to upgrade if you dont have a valid license? If you have an active contract/SWSS you can get the new license/media and you have to order using PUT (Product Upgrade Tool). May be the other way, talk to your Cisco AM/SE and arrange a temp license from Cisco and get the upgrade running. Once all upgraded, get the 12.X valid and go from there. Though no guarantee in getting the licenses, you should talk to your Cisco reps and see the possibility. Most of the cases its AM's discretion.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

Hi Rath,

I already opened a case and TAC engineer deleted the licenseexpiry.txt from my 8.6.2. Though the license is already okay but still I cannot upgrade my 8.6.2 because I received an error message "Error encountered: The selected file is not valid. MD5 Hash Value: 3b:56:fa:57:91:2b:e9:8f:60:ee:50:fc:a5:a6:2d:70".

I already tried 3 installers and it didn't work out. I'm waiting for the updates from TAC.

Regards,

Arvie

Hi there

Did you install the refresh cop files (ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.5.cop.sgn). The Error encountered: The selected file is not valid. MD5 Hash Value: value error could be because of that.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

Hi,

I solved it already. I just uploaded again the ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn and it is working now. Waiting for the upgrade to complete.

Regards, 

Arvie

That’s excellent. Keep posted !!

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!