Views
Helpful
Replies

Using CUBE for Routing of a SIP Trunk ?

Luke Fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently have 3 sites using Alcatel OmniPCX PBX`s (SIP trunks between sites currently) + 1 sites using an legacy PBX all connected via WAN (All Cisco routers) from a central data center (2921 ISR w/ SECK9).

What we are looking at doing is centralize the ISDN and PSTN trunks at each site to a single 20 channel (possibly 30) IP SIP trunk delivered to the data center.

What we would need to do is terminate the 20 or 30 channel SIP trunk in the DC then depending on the Dialed number passed through the trunk the router would then forward to the configured SIP trunk being the Alcatels at each site depending on routing rules for numbers.

--

Would I correct in saying that we would need to purchase the Cisco Unified Border Element and an UC license for the 2921 to support this and perform these operations ? Then the CUBE would handle the routing of calls based on passed through parameters from the Voice Carrier by SIP ?

Also would the UC license allow us to utilize CME or is there an additional license for this as possible we would deploy CME w/ Cisco IP Phones at the 4th Site (Legal PBX) utilizing the DC router for the host of the CME.

Thanks for your assistance in advanced quite confused with the new Cisco Licensing structure ( IOS 15 )

Luke

11 Replies 11

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Luke

To terminate SIP trunking at HQ, you lead with CUBE and you license it for as many sessions as you want. You can then have a SIP DP to the Alcatel system but then I haven’t seen Interop guide on what has been tested so there might be some caveats. Looks like there is no CCM in the mix here. You are correct that with UC/CUBE you can get there. There are VSEC-CUBE bundles that come with 25 sessions and there are just UC bundles where you can add-on ala-carte CUBE licenses.

There is separate licensing for CME, you will see add-on for FL-CME-SRST that allows you to license based on the number of end points.

Thanks

Srini

Thanks Sini for your response.

Are you able to use the 8 week evaluation of the UC package to test the CUBE functionality and interoperability ? IS CUBE simply a sub feature of UC ?

Luke

Yes CUBE is a feature within UC. It isn't enforced at this time but in the future it will. So could test it for now but need to ensure you buy the CUBE licenses

Check out the ordering guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/order_guide_c07_462222.html

Thanks

Srini

Thanks Srini

Just one more question - I notice there is also a Gatekeeper function .. is this associated with CUBE / UC or is it something else? Will be UCK9 and CUBE be all I need.

Check out this link, Table 4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/order_guide_c07_462222.html

You need GK licenses for 2900/3900 routers and it is enforced through PAK

Thanks

Srini

Hi Srini,

Sorry one last question - will the router performing the CUBE operations require a PVDM card at all or are these card only required when using analogue and digital interfaces ?

Luke

Luke

PVDM are needed if as an example you are trying to transcode between G711 and G729 or you are trying to change the DTMF type based on what the other party can support. Those resources can be local or can on a separate router.

Here is a good example of using PVDM for transcoding with CUBE

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5640/products_configuration_example09186a008092d6b3.shtml

Please rate helpful answers

Thanks

Srini

Thanks Srini

You have been a great help. Now that I have the licensing and features that I need - on to the fun stuff - configuartion, testing & deployment.

Thanks,

Luke

No problem, yes the bulk of the work will be to ensure SIP Interop with Alcatel and then going through the entire test plan

Thanks

Srini

Yes - Have found out the Alcatels also support H232 which may be easier than SIP ?

If that’s the case then you can also try H323 DP to Alcatel and see if it works. Try both ways to see which one works out better for you. CUBE is an IP-IP GW so you can mix and match h323-SIP anyway you want.

Thanks

Srini