cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Verifying DIRT backup file is good before unity update

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Is there a way without doing a restore to see if the dirt backup file is good before upgrading unity to 4.05?

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, a DiRT backup is more than a single file (it includes DB table backups, regstry settings, local system files) - if the backup went clean with no major error messages, then it's clean - there's no way to do a check on a set of DiRT backup files to be sure it'll restore properly - I'm not even sure how you'd approach such a check without just doing a restore...

Thanks. Kinda figured that, just was checking. Suppose I can run the dirt files on my lab server and see if they restore fine or does my lab server need to match a customers server/databaes, server names, etc to work?

Also, for the big picture on unity server backups, what is the procedure cisco supports? Is it kind of like CCM with BARS, where you rebuild the server and install OS and applications and then restore from dirt files?

>>does my lab server need to match a customers server/databaes, server names, etc to work

You can do a dirt back to different brand/model server, different server name.

The main thing is that the unity versions have to be identical. You would build a new Unity server, then do a dirt restore from the files that you have.

HM, Thanks. Found the current backup doc on Cisco since posting this (they keep moving things around). I'll have them just build another server and restore to that if they want to test the backup files.