Event Source: CiscoUnity_AvRdbSvr

Event Category: Startup

Event ID: 21000

Date: 5/4/2004

Time: 10:56:30 AM

User: N/A

Computer: Test

Description:

Failed connecting to underlying database using: provider=SQLOLEDB;driver={SQL Server};Data Source=TAC-TOR1UNTY3;Initial Catalog=UnityDb;uid=Administrator;pwd=<?}: 80004005

For more information, click: http://www.CiscoUnitySupport.com/find.php

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That means some component tried to connect to the UnityDB database in SQL using the RDB server wrapper (a library of functions to make getting at SQL from C++ easier) - this would normally mean your UnityDB table was having issues and/or you may have locked down your SQl installations such that members of local admin couldn't get on it... hard to tell with just this error message and nothing else to go on (i.e. which component was trying to gain access).

Is the system running properly?

Thanks.We had some issues earlier when this error happened: user can't retrieve voice mail, but after 2-3 hours on it's fine. So I really don't know what happended that momment, I don't think people will use C++ to access it.

Jeff--

Old post, however, I thought I'd throw in an added twist.

I have a customer with two separate Unity Servers. Both are Unity 4.0(4)ES20/Exchange. They are linked using Cisco Unity Digital Networking, so they are using the same Active Directory as the global directory. Each server is integrated to it's own local Exchange 2003 Information Store. Each server is at a site with a local DC/GC.

TAC SR is 600538043 if you care to take a closer look. I've got logfiles and traces and EVTs and whatnot attached to the case.

We have had at least one Unity server outage per day this week. The "outage" varies a bit, I'm seeing a mixture of two major different issues:

1. AvCsMgr barfing all over the place, then usually crashing with a DrWatson.

2. Unity Voice Ports quit responding. We are CCM-integrated at both sites (different CCM clusters) , and we will get what seems to be about 20-45 minutes of ring no answer (indicating CCM thinks the ports are still registered). In Event Viewer on Unity, eventually you will see the ports dropping off one by one. Eventually they are all off, and suddenly CCM realizes this and shows them all registering (all at once, which is very different than what Unity see)s.

The two symptoms above seems to flip-flop -- one time it's issue #1, the next it's issue #2. Both are usually solved by a quick stop/start of Unity using the system tray tool. Sometimes with AvCsMgr, I need to use the kill.exe tool to kill all Av* services, then restart Unity.

There are a number of issues we see that coincide with the above:

1. MALEx errors, but I believe these have been eliminated since TAC provided me ES20.

2. AvCsMgr barfing all over the place (all kinds of different errors)

3. Occasional MSSQLSERVER errors from MSDE 2000/SQL 2000 complaining of too many queries at once ("optimized for 8, 13 attempted") or some such lingo

4. Occasional AvRdbSvr errors (which drove me to this post to begin with).

5. If we wait long enough, TSP errors indicating Unity thinks a port has de-registered.

During the most recent incident (a few hours ago), AvCsMgr threw errors for maybe 30 minutes or so -- then eventually DrWatson'd. The reason I am posting to this thread, is that in the micro traces for AvCsMgr I see the exact same error the original poster mentions: Failure (by AvCsMgr) to connect to UnityDb.

Two separate Unity's, separate mailstores, separate DC/GC servers ... but similar issues. My gut tells me this is something global, maybe an AD group policy or some such nonsense. Would you agree with this line of reasoning? Have you seen anything similar with other customers, or anything else I can check or provide more information for?

Thanks, as always.

-jd

I have Unity 4.0.5 UM (Exchange 2003 backend) CCM 4.1.3 sr3c and TSP 8.0.1b and I am getting the error message on and off. It starts intermittently and then stops. During that time people are not able to leave VM and then mysteriously it clears up. You get the system error message and then it clears up. I found another thread but everyone said that reboot clears it up temporarily and then it comes back up.

I have also seen this on a fw systems start out of the blue, then sometimes stop and VM starts working again. sometimes a reboot is needed to clear it. I opened a TAC case once on it and no fix or resoulition on what the cause was.

I have open too right now. I disabled CSA and it has not repeated for a day. I will keep monitiring to see if it stays that way.