cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Whats the value add of using area code specific bulk route patterns?

Joshua
Level 1
Level 1

Hello how are you? For setup in Cisco Unified Communications Manager/Cisco Call Manager Call routing > Route Hunt > Route pattern

What is the value add of setting up area code specific route patterns?

My understanding and utilization of route patterns is more of creating general patterns that match the following:

E911

local calls

long distance calls

international calls

But I have seen some PBX that have specific area code and specific numbers where a generic route pattern already successfully routes the call so what would be the value add of using a specific route pattern like 9.1212XXXXXXX or 1212594XXXX?

If a route pattern is specific enough as to be an exact number then I could see using that as a way to redirect a specific outbound call however when it is area code specific I do not see the purpose of this when something more generic like 9.1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX will route any LD call?

To me it seems unnecessary to use area code specific route patterns, but maybe there is a value add to implementing bulk route pattern imports of all area codes? Thank you for any insight as I am more familiar with just using the generic route patterns. Greatly appreciate the feedback.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Jonathan Schulenberg wrote:

TEHO tends to be used by companies with an international presence these days.

I have done this for customers, but I think there are some countries where this is officially illegal. I have a vague recollection that India was one of them, but this was a long time ago.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tail End Hop Off is the traditional reason for this. The idea was to route calls out gateways where it would be billed as a local call instead of long distance or international. Within the US this is rare in present day because domestic long distance is so cheap and most companies have moved to centralized SIP trunks. STIR/SHAKEN would also trip this up unless you filtered/overwrite outbound ANI values at each egress trunk. TEHO tends to be used by companies with an international presence these days.

@Jonathan Schulenberg wrote:

TEHO tends to be used by companies with an international presence these days.

I have done this for customers, but I think there are some countries where this is officially illegal. I have a vague recollection that India was one of them, but this was a long time ago.

Joshua
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the detailed info!