cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we restore a DRS Backup of CUCM 11.5 on a new CUCM 12.5.1?

Meddane
VIP
VIP

Can we restore a DRS Backup of CUCM 11.5 on a new CUCM 12.5.1 and vice versa from  CUCM 12.5.1 to CUCM 11.5 ?

35 Replies 35

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the DRS documentation explains which are the requirements for a restore to be successful, suggest you review it. 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

You can restore the backup  if below matches.

• Exact same versions as BACKUP(Entire versions string should match)
  • Identical Network Settings 
  • You should be aware of Security password. 

Refer the below Guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/12_5_1/admin/cucm_b_administration-guide-1251/cucm_b_administration-guide-1251_chapter_010100.html#reference_9AB686E9945028AB9FE2E3C240DD0B2D

Response Signature

@Nithin Eluvathingal  @Jaime Valencia I tested this in my lab environment and it s not possible between two versions.

Is there a way to retrieve the configuration of the 11.5 version such as routes pattern, phones, translation patterns and stuff like that etc....so that you can put it in a new version  in order to avoid a manual re configuration from scratch?

On  12.5 SU(5)/14 , you can do fresh install using the data export option. You need to install data export cop on old cluster and copy the files to SFTP server. When installing new sever, you can make use of the exported data to build a new server.

https://defaultgateway.org/2021/04/16/cucm-data-export/

Second option is to use  Import/Export option in Bulk admin.

Response Signature

Let' say if I migrate from 11.5 to 12.5. Then I made some changes in 12.5 such as adding phones and route patterns or may be some features. Then for some reasons  I want to rollback to the old version 11.5 using the switch version option. Does these changes are lost or they are not lost after the rollback?

When we say migration,  We move from one hardware/VM  to another one. If you are migrating you can simply turn OFF the new and turn ON the OLD.

If we are Upgrading from one version to another , to rollback we use switch back to inactive version.AFAIK,you need to reconfigure the changes. The new configurations will be available only on the active version.

Response Signature

Great explanation @Nithin Eluvathingal.

So in the second case with upgrading. We can say that the new configuration in the new version 12.5  is not replicated when doing a rollback to the old version 11.5. Right?

Thatā€™s  right.

Response Signature

You said previously " If you are migrating you can simply turn OFF the new and turn ON the OLD"  you mean the contrary. When migrating we turn OFF the old and turn ON the new. 

When migrating, we turn OFF the old and build new. I mean if you need to rollback, You can turn OFF the new and turn ON the old. This is possible if you didn't delete the old VM.

Response Signature

What is recommended migration or upgrading?

If you are moving from one hardware to another do migration.

if you are staying on same hardware upgrade it. 

Migrations and upgrade, both can be done using PCD. And I always recommend to USE PCD.

Pcd cannot migrate uccx and unity.

Fresh install with Data  export is possible with CUCM 12.5 SU(5). And not possible with other CUCM 12.5 versions.

Recommend to read below documents.

Upgrade and migration guides

Release notes

Read me notes

PCD administration  guides

Response Signature

Unfortunately there is no PCD. So going through an upgrade in the same hardware with the switch version feature is the only choice and for rollback I will use also the switch version feature to switch to the old version and old configuration if there is upgrade issues.

If you are using the same HW and upgrading. You might need to change Linux OS version, CPU or Memory resources etc. Just check the migrate & upgrade guide and the virtualization requirements of the targeted version.

Since you mentioned 11.5, just wanna share some notes from my experience. 

1. There are more caveats for IM&P if you are using MSFT SQL server.

Database Migration Required for Upgrades with Microsoft SQL Server

upgrading from 11.5(1), 11.5(1)SU1, or 11.5(1)SU2, you must create a new SQL Server database and migrate to the new database. This is required due to enhanced data type support in this release.

2. Have you already updated the endpoints firmware to the targeted release, or are you planning to have all the phones download new firmware at once at 12.5?.

3. Have you taken into account the VoiceGw, UCCX, CUC, and Expressway compatibility matrix with CUCM & IMP ?

4. Incase you have UCCX, remember, UCCX engine doesn't even start unless you have the targeted version license uploaded.

5. Version12.x and onwards require smart account. I am sure you already have it in place prior to upgrade.

6. List of deprecated phone models in 12.5.

7. MediaSense recording is not supported from UCCX 12.x & onwards.

• Customers with valid UCSS & SWCC should use PUT/MCE tool to upgrade to UCCX 12.5.
  • Customers that do not have a valid SWSS contract should migrate to Flex licensing and order a-la-carte Upgrade SKUs along with SWSS.

Hope it helps.

Please rate Helpful or click "accept as solution" if this answered your Question.