Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Cluster & DB Communication error

Hamza DEHAL
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We were having a problem with a Cluster of CUCM 11.5.1 composed of a Publisher & a Subscriber nodes, while logging to the Publisher we get a "DataBase Communication Error" message (The Subscriber works just fine), On the Subscriber we get this notification:

sync to PLM issue.JPG

we proceed to troubleshoot this issue finding out that the "A Cisco DB" is not running doing the following:

- Trying to restart the node,

- Start/Restart the A Cisco DB service, (Still Not Running),

- Changing the Security password to match the two nodes.

We decided to rebuild another VM hosting a new CUCM with the same IP address, migrate the licenses to match the new machine, migrating the licenses towards the new PLM and trynig to add the subscriber to the cluster.

Till now, the Subscriber is working and all the configuration is there, can we retrieve the configuration from the old subscriber to the new Publisher since the new Publisher is empty now ?

When trying to add/modify anything in the subscriber we get : "Update failed. No UPDATE permission for device.ikdevice_defaultprofile."

Also the notification about the Synchronization with the PLM is still on the old Subscriber.

Here is some command outputs executed from the new Publisher for further clarification:

dbreplication STATUS.JPG

show CLUSTER.JPG

8 Replies 8

That error message is not related to DB replication. It relates to lost connection with PLM. There are documents that outlines the process to get data from a subscriber into the publisher in the event of catastrophic failure and no option to do a DRS backup restore. Have a look at this document that outline the DRS process. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100_chapter_011.html

To pull data from a sub into the pub you'd use this command "utils dbreplication forcedatasyncsub".

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg wrote:

That error message is not related to DB replication. It relates to lost connection with PLM. There are documents that outlines the process to get data from a subscriber into the publisher in the event of catastrophic failure and no option to do a DRS backup restore. Have a look at this document that outline the DRS process. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100_chapter_011.html

To pull data from a sub into the pub you'd use this command "utils dbreplication forcedatasyncsub".

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your helpful reply, 

Which node is the backup device in my case ? I assume it is the old subscriber and I need to restore the new Publisher from it (what about the hostname and the IP adresse difference between the nodes ??)

DRS restore is done from the backup that is stored on your SFTP server that you should have setup for backups. The configuration of the backup and also the restore is done via the webUI on the CUCM.

If you want to restore the database on the Publisher from a Subscriber you would use the outline that @Nithin Eluvathingal shared. As part of that process you would use the command I shared.

These are two different options for restore, where often the restore from DRS would be the best option.

Response Signature

Below document describes how to restore the Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) publisher node from the subscriber database (DB) without prior backup or root access.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/116946-technote-product-00.html

can you share the output of utils dbreplication runtimestate 

Response Signature

@Nithin Eluvathingal wrote:

Below document describes how to restore the Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) publisher node from the subscriber database (DB) without prior backup or root access.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/116946-technote-product-00.html

can you share the output of utils dbreplication runtimestate 

Hi Nithin,

Thank you for your valuable sharing,

Here is the output of "utils dbreplication runtimestate"

runtimestate.PNG

The picture which you share is for new or Old server ?

i need ask you one more thing DID you made any changes on  Security password ?

if you have DRS backup of old server, as @Roger Kallberg mentioned try to restore the drs.

Response Signature

The output I shared is from the new Publisher, and yes I changed the security password in the two servers.

Unfortunately I don't have a DRS backup of the old publisher.

With version 10.5 there was bug which cause CUCM Db to stop and the work around was to Run "set password user security" from the admin CLI and change the security password again (with the old security password ), then reboot the node.

Not sure if this applies to version 11.5

Have a look on below  bugs 

CSCus13276

CSCur93287

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: