cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Video with CUPC and Deskphone

DOUG DAVIDSON
Level 5
Level 5

I have installed CUPC 8.5 and CUPS 8.5, when I select to use my desk phone it will not use video.  When I look at the server status it shows an alert next to deskphone video, the server address and port are blank, Server Protocol is CAST and status is CDP can't detect phone - no phone attached.

I have tried with both a 7961 and a 7970 and see the same error.

Video works with using softphone.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Doug

13 Replies 13

Ethan Haberman
Level 1
Level 1

Having the same problem. Haven't seen ANY documentation on this..

The only documentation I saw was that the phones supported CAST but you may have to upgrade software load on the phone. Did not say what version you upgrade to or minimum required.

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

It works the same way like CUVA.

Make sure CDP was enabled on the phone.  Make sure video was enabled on the phone.  Make sure CDP driver was installed properly on PC.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

CDP and Video are enabled on the phone. How do I verify CDP driver was installed properly?

Thanks,

Doug

How is the phone/computer connected?

It should be network > phone > computer

That is how it is setup up.

Thanks,

Doug

what firmware version do you have on the phones?

Not sure how new firmware you will need but I know that I've had similar problems that were solved by newer firmware.

Hello

Check CDP Driver in Program Files\Common FIles\Cisco Systems\CDPDriver

Also must be installed on the NIC as "Cisco CDP KMDF NDIS Protocol Driver"

Is your operating System 32 or 64 bit?  

I was having this issue as well and opened a case to realize it is just the 64 bit Deskphone mode suport issues still not being resolved.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Can someone confirm me that CAST is ONLY working when a computer is connected behind an IP Phone?

I'm in the situation where we have two seperate networks, one for voice another for data and a firewall in between. This is a design complexity where we should be able to handle Video Call from CUPC 7.1 from a softphone mode AND a deskphone mode.

Could anyone give me a complete status on that?

Hi Martin,

I can confirm phone CTI control, voice and video are working with 2 separate Vlans for voice and computers.

You can have voice on IP phone and video on computer CUPC, or voice and video on CUPC.

CAST is a request sent from CUPC to discover if an IP phone is connected to the computer only when you click on deskphone control check box (or if you already have this box checked at CUPC startup). CDP drivers launches if control box is checked (CDPdrv.exe in task manager) and when finished if I remember well this process ends. Then you have CAST keepalives sent regularly between computer and ip phone. IP to IP communication. Just open CAST protocol and port both ways on your fw (TCP 4224).

And important thing I can also confirm : CDP onto Cisco switches is not mandatory for CAST to work and for deskphone control to be achieved. Tested with and without cdp run, same result. Done with CUCM 7.1.5 and CUPC 8.3

What I do not know and if someone knows it would be great : CAST sends request to the IP phone, but how CUPC knows the ip address to send the CAST request to ? Does CDPdrv.exe sniff traffic to discover MAC from ip phone and then asks CUCM relationship between MAC and registered IP ?

CUPC <-> CUCM traffic is encrypted so impossible to analyse with wireshark.

andres.lara
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem using CUPC version 8.5.1 and a 7970 phone.  The settings on CUCM (Video and PC Port Enabled) were correct and my PC was connected to the network via the PC port on my 7970.  I disabled the Windows Firewall and it allowed my 7970 phone to be detected.

The Release Notes for CUPC 8.0 specify which ports are used by the application, but I didn't see anything pertaining to CAST or CDP.  I found some documentation for VT Advantage that may help identify which ports to allow for this function to work.

I hope this helps you.

o.rtterud
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Seems like your firewall or Network Treat Protection is blocking...

If you are usin Symantec se the following articel:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH105234&locale=en_US