cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert : Initial Set Up and LAN Connectivity for Cisco UCS Servers

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about related to the initial setup of UCS C & B Series which include LAN connectivity from the UCS perspective with Cisco subject matter expert Kenny Perez.

In particularly, Kenny will cover topics such as: ESXi/Windows  installations, RAID configurations (best practices for good performance and configuration), VLAN/Jumbo Frames configuration for B series and C series servers, Pools/Policies/Upgrades/Templates/Troubleshooting Tips for blade and rack servers, Fabric Interconnects configuration, general compatibility of Hardware/Software/drivers amongst other topics

Kenny Perez is a technical leader in Cisco Technical Assistance Center, where he works in Server Virtualization support team. His main job consists of supporting customers to implement and manage Cisco UCS B series and C series. He has background in computing, networking, and Vmware ESXi and has 3+ years of experience support UCS servers and is VCP certified.

Remember to use the rating system to let Kenny know if he has given you an adequate response. 

This event lasts through October 10th, 2014. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other Cisco Support Community members.

20 Replies 20

Nishant Singal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I want to know how we can stop the loop in the network.if any user will connect the two I/O port with LAN cable . I think there is option of BPDUgaurd and BPDUfiter .

Please help

Hi,

When you say "if any user will connect the two I/O port with LAN cable"... Do you mean ports in the IO Module in the 5108 UCS Chassis???

-Kenny

Hi,

Its something like - connecting two switch port with single cable,

Thanks

Nishant

Nishant,

so your question is not related to the Unified Computing System (UCS)?

-Kenny

yes, my question is related to simple network in which the Pc is connected to switch and then router

Nishant

ok, yeah...then my answer is the same...you may use different ways to secure your environment, you may use port security and BPDUGuard and shutdown interfaces that wont be used, for instance.

HTH somehow,

-Kenny

Thanks For your answer

I think the BPDU gaurd is only the solution as PC are changing on random basis so port security is  not possible, Please help the difference between the BPDU gaurd and BPDU filter or these command only for portfast interface or in any interface.

thanks

Nishant

Nishant,

BPDU Filter= BPDUs are not generated/processed

BPDU Guard= Ports can be shut down if a BPDU is received

I hope that helps you, please dont hesitate to rate useful answers.

I am glad to help, just please remember this dicussion "Initial Set Up and LAN Connectivity" is about the Cisco UCS Servers, sorry if the tittle is a little confusing...

-Kenny

Thanks Kenny for replying,

Do you have any related to cisco UCS servers . I mean from where i can start to learn the things related to the same .

Any suggestion?

--Nishant

Nishant,

You may begin with this book that will be released shortly:

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccna-data-center-dcicn-640-911-official-cert-guide-9781587204548

If you dont want to wait, then you can use this material that was released last year and covers all for CCNA DC:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna_data_center/dcicn/training_videos

And last but not least, you can try this really valuable material to master other technologies in the data center like: vPC, OTV and Storage Concepts:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/groups/ccnp-data-center-study-group?view=documents

HTH,

-Kenny

Thanks kenny

Sure thing.  Don't forget to rate helpful content in this thread...

-Kenny

If this is about UCS I can adjust my answer and keep on going with further questions, if not about UCS... well yes, you normally shut down interfaces that aren´t gonna be used in the switch to avoid the fact that anyone could just plug in a new cable and cause a mess.

Also, BPDUGuard is used for that as you mentioned, in fact, one would normally set a port as "edge" and enable BPDUGuard at the same time.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else, UCS related, I could possibly help you with and it will be my pleasure.

-Kenny

Yogesh Vashisht
Level 1
Level 1

Hi kenny,

Need to know about the following ,

1. If i do have UCS B series running in DC and want  to deploy a new C Series-UCS  within the same rack for different App , then in this case can UCS manager will be same or different. Please  describe UCS manager setting and licensing.

2. I have UCS Simulator software is this possible to integrate with my GNS3  in Lab scenario ?

Reply will be appreciated ,

Thanks in advance!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card