Views
Helpful
Replies

B230-M2 - MK81KR - Win 08 R2 San Boot

danierobberts
Level 1
Level 1

Chaps.

I need to SAN boot this server with Win 08 R2 on the metal.

Service profile works with VMware, so the Zoning/Masking is correct.

On install from 08 Disk, no Hard Drives shown, I loaded the Cisco Storage Driver, now I see the Lun twice, Disk1

Unpartitioned space and Disk2  Unpartitioned space.

There is a Bios not enabled warning when I try to install.

UCS Version 1.4.3Q

Driver Disk : 1.4.1

Please assist

Danie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Danie,

For giggles try this exactly.

Start the installation, when it gets to the point where you need to load the Palo drivers from virtual media do so, IMMEDIATELY after the drivers are loaded (before clicking next or refresh), re-map the Windows 2008 CD in virtual media.  Next click the "Refresh" button to scan for disks.  When yours appears see if you can now install to it.

The order of actions is important here.

Let me know how this goes.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

danierobberts
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

I removed the HBA Config on the Service Profile pointing via FI-B. It still sees both disks, but install can proceed.

I will finish the install, load all the drivers and see if it boots using both vhba's

Danie,

One of the very important steps when installing Windows on a SAN LUN is that you can only present one path during install...

One installed, then you can go ahead and add the redundant path.  This is listed in Cisco docs as well as Microsoft -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/b/os/windows/install/2008-vmedia-install.html#wp1053494

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305547

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert, and community

Thanks for that. It did however not resolve my problem totally.

I have a Service Profile with a single HBA configured, On the VNX that is Directly Connected (Storage FC Config) I have a single hba registered to the Storage Group, which contains a Single Lun.

Windows sees no disks on install, loaded the 1.4.3(a) drivers and it picks up the Lun as offline. When I select the bring it online option, it stated it cannot install on this lun. due to the hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that its enabled it the BIOS.

The Boot policy is 1: CDROM

2: SAN - Target is the owner of the LUN on the VNX

any other pointers please?

Danie,

For giggles try this exactly.

Start the installation, when it gets to the point where you need to load the Palo drivers from virtual media do so, IMMEDIATELY after the drivers are loaded (before clicking next or refresh), re-map the Windows 2008 CD in virtual media.  Next click the "Refresh" button to scan for disks.  When yours appears see if you can now install to it.

The order of actions is important here.

Let me know how this goes.

Regards,

Robert

If that doesn't work, reboot the server enter the BIOS setup during boot (F2) and disable the EFI boot option.  Proceed with your installation, then re-enable it once installed.

Regards,

Robert

No change on either option.

On the CD sequence.

I clicked load driver, mounted the 1.4.3 Drivers cd, browsed to Windows\Storage\Cisco\MK81KR\Win08R2\64

I listed the driver.

I then mounted the Win08 cd, and clicked next to load the driver, it could not find the path, as I had un-mounted the driver disk, so remounted 1.4.3, clicked next, green bas flashed a couple of times, and I got to the Where do you want to install screen. My 40GB disk showed as offline.

Mounted the Win08 Disc, and clicked refresh, twice....

Disk stayed offline, show details on the error allowed me to bring the disk online.

Now the error stated that the BIOS is not setup for booting of this controller, ignored the warning, and clicked next.

Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition.

I can create and delete partitions manually.

EFI disabled and the same install sequence, same results

Thanx

Yeah sorry you did the right thing, allow the drivers to load, but before selecting the disk -re-mounting the install CD.

Which exact version of 2008 are you trying to install? Std, Ent DC?

Robert

Robert,

It is a Combo ISO

You select the version, I tired STD Full as well ENT Full.

I am to confirm if the ISO is Win08R2 SP1 or just Win08R2

Danie

danierobberts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Update:

The installation works fine now.

On the system I had problems with, the VNX Storage was directly connected to the FI via Storage Ports. This config seems to allow only a single server to boot, almost asif NPIV is not supported somewhere.

Seem that in my haste to test this, and trying to save time by not installing the MDS9148 in the LAB, I shot myself in the foot.

So to recap:

SP with 2x HBA's, installed vmware esxi4.1 to confirm that it can boot of san. Booted the Win08R2 disc. When installation location is prompted, mount the relevant UCS drivers disc, and load the Storage drivers. Remount Win08R2 disc and select LUN. Complete install and load NIC drivers once done.

Thank you all for the pointers.

Danie

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card