cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C220 M3 email alerts on hardware failure?

mazzaccarod
Level 1
Level 1

I've always used HP proliant servers.  When we had a hardware failure (drive, RAM, CPU, temp, etc) the servers would email me and let me know.

Is this possible w/ my new C220 M3 servers?  I have checked all over the CIMC interface and can't find anything about SMTP settings or email notifications. 

Edit: The server is running VMware ESXi 5.1

Thanks in advance!

22 Replies 22

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello David,

CIMC does not have the ability today and following enhancement request tracks this feature.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtz50961

It does supports SNMP traps.

HTH

Padma

Thank you for clarifying with such a fast and accurate response.

However, this is very sad to hear.

I can't believe something as basic as allowing the end user to configure a smarthost for email to be notified of problems isn't included. 

Is there a logical reason for this? 

Are there any plans to add this feature in a future update?

David,

In this moment, that feature is only available for our B-Series servers and for the Rack Mount servers is being requested with the enhacement bug ID Padma just provided above.

SNMP is definitely available though.

-Kenny

I know this posting is about a year old, but I just racked and configured a C220 M3 and I notice that you still can't have an email alert sent from the CIMC when there is a hardware failure.  Is this feature going to be added?  I'm on the latest firmware revision.

Russ,

At this moment, this can only be done if the rack server is managed by UCSM.

-Kenny

Thanks for the reply.  That is very lame though as we put a C series in a remote location that doesn't have ucsm.  I'd prefer not to use syslog or snmp.

Russ,

The hope is to have that added in the near future, stay tuned.

-Kenny

I guess we shouldn't old our breath, I asked about this in Feb 2013...still waiting. 

I should have stayed w/ Proliants!

Kenny,

I have to chime in on this too, as we just installed our first C240 M3 and are planning on getting one or two more next year. It's absurd that such a basic feature isn't already available.

Is there a new bug to track the progress, since the one Padma linked to is "terminated" status? Or is there an ETA on availability?

-Steve

Hello Steve,

The bug is closed as of now but the feature is in the roadmap, no ETA for the same.

-Kenny

Hi, was this feature ever implemented?

It is now available through CIMC Supervisor:

The Cisco IMC Supervisor provides the following capabilities:

Platform hardware inventory

Hardware health status

Server management including virtual keyboard, video, and mouse (vKVM) launch

Firmware inventory and management

Call Home (email alerting)

Power control management

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/datasheet-c78-733571.html

-Kenny

Thanks guys for the fast response

David,

We haven't seen it in any production releases yet, as of v2.0.3(f), we added a C220M4 last month and it's still missing from the newer models as well.

Keny,

I know you mentioned this was "on roadmap with no ETA" almost a year ago, is there any update or possibly an ETA now?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card