Views
Helpful
Replies

C240 M4 Hung On Boot Screen

fakebizprez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

After spending days trying to get my C240 M4 to upgrade to the latest BIOS from 4.0.2d, was able to get the Host Utility Upgrade to boot using UCS-C240-m4-huu.4.0.2r.iso. It seems to have updated the CIMC with no issue, but after attempting the BIOS, it has been stuck on the bootloader screen.

I have tried shifting the CMOS jumpers with no success. Any support would be appreciated. These machines are a nightmare to work with.

fakebizprez_0-1723964110513.png

fakebizprez_1-1723964126288.png

7 Replies 7

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you able to remove power from the server for 30 seconds and attempt to boot it again? From the screen capture, you are stuck on the Intel adapter option ROM or PXE boot agent. 

Are you able to press F6 to select a boot option? You can also select a one time boot option from the BIOS. You may need to adjust your boot order to not try to use the Intel adapter to get past the option ROM.

Thank you for your response, Wes

The previous screen has the options to enter the BIOS, CIMC, Boot Menu, etc.; but regardless of which one I select it still flips to the screen I attached in my original post and hangs there.

As for the power, yes, I have turned it off several times, as well as shifted the CMOS jumper.

The only thing I haven't tried is removing the CMOS battery because I can't get it out of the entrapment it's in.

ryonghuk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

After spending days trying to get my C240 M4 to upgrade to the latest BIOS from 4.0.2d, was able to get the Host Utility Upgrade to boot using UCS-C240-m4-huu.4.0.2r.iso. It seems to have updated the CIMC with no issue, but after attempting the BIOS, it has been stuck on the bootloader screen.

I have tried shifting the CMOS jumpers with no success. Any support would be appreciated. These machines are a nightmare to work with.

fakebizprez
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, Wes.
Regarding the inability to flash either of my M4s to the latest firmware with HUU; is this  a known issue?

Based on your screen captures, the CIMC is upgraded and the correct BIOS version is the backup version, you may just need to activate it via CLI or HUU once you can get the server to boot to the ISO again. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/4_0/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_40/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_40_chapter_01110.html#task_815831AF362146C58B6F9D3A385B7596 

Hi Wes,

I should have mentioned that I did see the BIOS listed under backup Version, and when I checked the box and clicked “Activate” that is how I got to this screen in the first place.

Unfortunately, the motherboard was physically damaged trying to remove the CMOS battery so I have scrapped this machine. 
I have a separate C240 M4 that I am trying to upgrade with no luck.

Is there a way to download the .cap files directly?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card