cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can an FI be connected to multiple san switches

bssmith
Level 1
Level 1

I have 6536 FI  connected to Cisco MDS switches to our storage  .. FI one is connected to Switch 1 and FI 2 is connected to switch 2.We have Brocade and IBM storage as well in the datacenter  

Can i add ports 2 more ports to the FI and connect them to the Brocade switches to the  IBM storage ? So each FI will be connect to 2 different fiber switches .

Will i need to make changes to the server profile as well ? 

VMware environment . 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes.

Read through the UCS Storage VSAN docs (Cisco UCS had this name way before VMware did.).

Steps are roughly:

1. Create new UCS VSAN 11 (just picking random number for illustrative purposes)
  2. Create new UCS vHBA which uses VSAN 11 on the Service Profile (template) (reboot server so OS sees new vHBA)
  3. Create new UCS FC uplink on the Fabric Interconnect to carry VSAN 11 (and connect UCS FI to the brocade)
  4. Do upstream zoning (on the brocade)
  5. Do Storage LUN masking (on the IBM)
  6. Rescan for storage on ESXi

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes.

Read through the UCS Storage VSAN docs (Cisco UCS had this name way before VMware did.).

Steps are roughly:

1. Create new UCS VSAN 11 (just picking random number for illustrative purposes)
  2. Create new UCS vHBA which uses VSAN 11 on the Service Profile (template) (reboot server so OS sees new vHBA)
  3. Create new UCS FC uplink on the Fabric Interconnect to carry VSAN 11 (and connect UCS FI to the brocade)
  4. Do upstream zoning (on the brocade)
  5. Do Storage LUN masking (on the IBM)
  6. Rescan for storage on ESXi

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card