cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can someone give me the easiest way to get rid of SEL logs in UCS?

dumitsermor
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few ESXI servers that are installed on UCS and they get the error message of "host hardware system board status" constantly because the SEL Logs are full "Memory xxxx read 1 correctable ECC errors on CPU DIMM" errors.

Is there any script I can run that empty those?

I have read that I can set up SEL Logs backup and then "clear on backup" but I had problems setting that up, and the guides I find are so outdated

And I have a outdated ucs manager to begin with (4.0(4b))

6 Replies 6

Moved your post over to the UCS side of the community as it is not at all related to Collaboration.

Response Signature

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Best option would be to troubleshoot with TAC why the SEL log policies w/ 'clear on backup' are not working so you dont need to worry about additional scripts running
(https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/System-Monitoring/4-0/b_UCSM_GUI_System_Monitoring_Guide_4-0/b_UCSM_GUI_System_Monitoring_Guide_4-0_chapter_011.html#task_412247AC919545FFA93CECAA01D67CC1)

Additional options you could do it from ESXi itself using an ssh expect script to login to each ESXi host and run the sel clear commands:
[root@cx-hx3-1:~] localcli hardware ipmi sel list
[root@cx-hx3-1:~] localcli hardware ipmi sel clear

Or an ssh expect script using UCSM CLI:
scope server x/y
show sel
clear sel
commit-buffer

Or from UCSM powertools you can use the -Serial parameter to target just one blade or remove the parameter to target everything:
Connect-Ucs x.x.x.x
Get-UcsBlade -Serial FLMxxxxx | Get-UcsMgmtController | Get-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -Type SEL | Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -AdminState clear -Confirm:$false –Force

Defdefred
Level 1
Level 1

The easiest way is to ask for defective Dimm RMA...

When SEL become full of correctable error regulary, it's time to take away the dimm too much faulty

WUR
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

wrahaman_0-1705735726008.png

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card