cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cancel UCS Firmware Auto Install

nick.twaddell
Level 1
Level 1

I did a manual firmware upgrade the other night.  However under the Auto Install tab, it shows an install in progress.  I never started an auto install, so I'm not sure why it even thinks that.  It doesn't appear like it's even going anywhere.  It's just sitting there at Waiting for UCSM Activate to complete.

Is there a way to end it? or stop it?

17 Replies 17

Niles Pyelshak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What firmware did you upgrade from and to?  Did you complete the manual upgrade?  Are you still showing that there is an auto install in progress?  Did it failed or complete?

/NIles

I have a similar problem. The difference is I started infrastructure autoupdate task. Everything were updated but the progress stuck at 94% and "Waiting for UCSM Activate to complete".

I planned to upgrade to 2.2.3d firmware but i didn't start server autoupgrade task.

Hi Alexander

I assume we talk about "autoinstall infrastructure" ?

Autoinstall ususally starts upgrading UCS Manager first, which means, you loose your session and have to Login again.

Can you please post, what the Firmware Versions of FI, IOM, UCSM are ? e.g. is slave FI upgraded ? master FI as well (did you ack ?)

Everything (FIs, IOMs, UCSM) has been upgraded from 2.0.3b up to 2.2.3d, but autoinstall task now showing 94%. Name of subtask in FSM is something like "waiting local FI activate to finish - try 4".

As i said, actually, both FI and UCSM and both chassis IOMs are now 2.2.3d version. I can connect to UCSM GUI through the cluster ip  and manage chassis.

This means everything is 100% correct ! with the exception of FSM ? To me seems like a GUI, cosmetic bug.

It would be perfect if it could be true.

On FSM Tab I see :

Task: "Deploy", "Waiting for Activation to complete on Local Fabric Interconnect(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:FirmwareSystemDeploy:PollActivateOfLocalFI)"

On General Tab: Firmware Installer Status "In progress"

If I click "Install Server Firmware" it warns me about unfinished previous task.

As It is production environment with high business impact in case possible error I can't lay on easy assumption that it is just GUI bug.

what is the output of "show cluster sta..."

Post the output of conformance check for 2.2.3d Infra and server package (I hope you know how to do it ?)

I am very confused; first message refers to UCS Manager, the other 2 refer to FI ?

- Waiting for UCSM Activate to complete

- waiting local FI activate to finish

- Waiting for Activation to complete on Local Fabric Interconnect

If it's business critical, open a TAC case !

Was this ever resolved? If so, how? 

Is your issue also that the auto install seems to be stuck even when never started it?

-Kenny

Yes. That seems to be the case. I tried to access the link https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11980776/upgrade-ucs-213a-stuck and it said I didn't have permission. 

How can i force the upgrade? 

That's true, I tried to access it myself and I got the same error.

There is a box where it says force within the auto install; so go ahead and do this... Run the Auto Install for exactly the same version you are already running and select the "Force" checkbox.

Let me know if that works.

-Kenny

No matter what I do I get stuck here:

Sorry to insist, but I want to be sure... are you trying the the auto install with the same version that is already running?  that's what I need...

-Kenny

Kenny,

Not trying to use the same version. Moving from 2.2(3A) to 2.2(3C) or (3E) doesnt seem to work. It always gets stuck at Waiting for UCSM Activate to complete(FSM-TAGE:sam:dme:FirmwareSystemDeploy:PollActivateOfUCSM)

I think the issue is directly related to UCSM integration with UCSC. This issue is only occurring on Domains registered with UCSC. Firmware management is set to Local though, not Global, so I am not sure why this would have any affect. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card