Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C240 M6 LFF - is FlexMMC 600GB usable to install an OS ? Esxi

alanraczek11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was handed a Cisco C240 M6 LFF to install ESXi on . The issue is it does not have any hard drives in the front of the unit. There is only a 600GB drive plugged into the rear of the unit similar to this:

c240m6.PNG

from what i have found out this drive is on the Cisco FlexMMc. First is it possible to install ESXi on this drive or is this drive just used by the system? If I can install ESXi on this drive what are the discrete steps I need to use to accomplish this? I have CIMC set up and can work on it that way. I have limited experience in a "fresh" UCS blade setup.

Any help is appreciated.

8 Replies 8

KyoCode
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alan,

what do you mean "by the system"? those rear storage drives are intended to be used by the OS (Windows / Linux / ESXi, etc), hence it won't wipe out the CIMC nor BIOS if OS is installed on those.

Furthermore, you can use vKVM to connect the iso via CIMC and check the partition list.

AIV

Okay, then how do I install an OS on this drive, that is the question. I have not come across much info on how to do this. I booted an ESXi DVD and it finds no drives so how do I configure this drive? It runs off of Flex MMC.

...Alan

Unfortunately I don't have standalone M6 server,

But you might need to create a Virtual drive based on those 2 M.2 physical drives, hence while connecting via CIMC you'll see an menu option listing Storage > 'Controller name', as an approach I have this one similar to what you can find:

KyoCode_0-1679588171871.png

I'm using SD Cards in this server and it has a FlexUtil controller which will have the options to create a Virtual drive out of the RAID M.2 controller,

let me know if you found it,

AIV

This is what I see:

flexmmc.PNG12GB_RAID.PNG

So at this point I am not sure what to do, where to configure it so ESX can see it. The project it is used for will be buying more drives but I need to at least get something loaded. Would be nice to have 2 partitions, one for OS and one for VM's.

good news!

so far FlexMMC is storage for CIMC, which is correct, and that's new for me! I wouldn't touch that one.

In the other hand, you have an Unconfigured Good physical drive, if you go to Virtual Drive Info, it will show some options to create a virtual drive (or as many as you need) in order to create partitions to be presented to the OS or installation workflow, please share that screenshot if not shown,

AIV

alanraczek11
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, I will check Tue when I am back in office. But it almost seems like the 'unconfigured drive' is the same size as the Flex MMC. Almost, so this is confusing. I am doing work from home a couple days. Keep thread in mind! Tyvm.

We also received a C220 with only one MRAID controller.  I can make virtual disks with that controller, but it has four 500GB SSDs and four 1TB HDDs.  Neither of those seem appropriate for installing ESX.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card