Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS5108 2208XP I/O Module Manage?

TURKLOKASYON
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I bought used Cisco 5108 Blade System with 2 x UCS 2208XP I/O modules. This module has an HDMI port instead of a serial connection. When I researched this module, I read articles as an expansion slot. Can I manage this system without fabric interconnect 6324? I have only 2 x UCS 2208XP modules.

Do I need another blade system with fabric interconnect 6324to manage this system?

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 6324's are compatible with the 2208, 2204, and 2304 IOMs.

Your 2208 will have 8 x10Gb SFP ports on it.  If your 6324 just has the 40 Gb QSFP port available for use, you will need to get a 40x4(10Gb) break out cable to connect these together.

If you only have a 5108 enclosure + the IOMs, you are missing the actual switching and management component Provided by the required fabric interconnects (i.e. 6200 series, 6300 series, 6400 series).  This is similar to buying a Fex Extender without the parent switch...

Kirk...

View solution in original post

Common items being purchased would be:

• Correct SFP or QSFP breakout cables (depends on which FIs you actually get)
  • Required port licenses  & support contract (FIs will come with base # included)
  • Pair of FIs 6200s will probably be the cheapest if you find them used or refurbished
  • You need 220V power source for PSUs in 5108 chassis.
  • adequate components for blades

Kirk...

You need a fabric interconnect in order to manage the devices you listed. The fabric interconnect is the brains of of operations and responsible for provisioning everything so you can use your blade servers.

You will need a 6200, 6300 or 6400 series FI:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/servers-unified-computing/fabric-interconnects.html

6 Replies 6

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 6324's are compatible with the 2208, 2204, and 2304 IOMs.

Your 2208 will have 8 x10Gb SFP ports on it.  If your 6324 just has the 40 Gb QSFP port available for use, you will need to get a 40x4(10Gb) break out cable to connect these together.

If you only have a 5108 enclosure + the IOMs, you are missing the actual switching and management component Provided by the required fabric interconnects (i.e. 6200 series, 6300 series, 6400 series).  This is similar to buying a Fex Extender without the parent switch...

Kirk...

Thank you for reply. I have only UCS 2208XP modules. I need 62xx 63xx 64xx products to manage this device. Is this true?

Is there anything else I need to do besides buying any of the 62xx 63xx 64xx modules?

Common items being purchased would be:

• Correct SFP or QSFP breakout cables (depends on which FIs you actually get)
  • Required port licenses  & support contract (FIs will come with base # included)
  • Pair of FIs 6200s will probably be the cheapest if you find them used or refurbished
  • You need 220V power source for PSUs in 5108 chassis.
  • adequate components for blades

Kirk...

Thanks for reply Kirk,

I have this products

1 x Cisco UCS 5108 Chasis

5 x B200 M3 Server

4 x PSU + Backplane

8 x Fan

2 x Cisco UCS 2208XP I/O Module

Isn't there a way to manage this chasis? Is it possible if I want to use it this way? What can I do or can not do, can you give information?

Cisco UCS 2208XP I / O Module has 1 x HDMI port. What does this port do? Can it be used for serial connection?

You need a fabric interconnect in order to manage the devices you listed. The fabric interconnect is the brains of of operations and responsible for provisioning everything so you can use your blade servers.

You will need a 6200, 6300 or 6400 series FI:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/servers-unified-computing/fabric-interconnects.html

It is difficult to find or bring this in the country I am in. I will give back the product. Thanks for replies.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card