Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm in the midst of receiving some new equipment:

2 - Blade Chassis with 4 blades each

2 - 6248UP

1 - Nimble C240G-x2

2 - 3750x with 10gig expansion.

I currently have 3750's in a stack and plan to add these new 3750's to the existing stack. Can I connect the 10g on the 3750x directly to the fabric interconnect to bring my new equipment into my existing network?  I was thinking these would be considered UCS Uplink Ethernet Ports.

The reason I ask, I didn't realize that I couldn't connect non-Cisco servers (IBM with 10g cards) directly to the fabric and caused my second guessing.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi mjensen

The fabric interconnect ports are 10Gb interfaces, so yes you can connect to the Cisco 3750 switch through the 10Gig ports.   The only thing you want to make sure is that when you connect these devices to use supported transceivers on both ends. If you want to know the list of supported transceivers on the UCS 6248 take a look at the link below.

Supported Transceivers

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/6200-install-guide/6200_HIG/6200_HIG_chapter_01.html#ID527

You are correct on UCSM you want to configure these ports as Uplink Ethernet Ports!

Now the reason you can't just connect another none ucs server to the fabric interconnect like you IBM server, is because the fabric interconnect does not work as a regular switch.   Only UCS server can be manage via the UCSM gui.

Please let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi mjensen

The fabric interconnect ports are 10Gb interfaces, so yes you can connect to the Cisco 3750 switch through the 10Gig ports.   The only thing you want to make sure is that when you connect these devices to use supported transceivers on both ends. If you want to know the list of supported transceivers on the UCS 6248 take a look at the link below.

Supported Transceivers

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/6200-install-guide/6200_HIG/6200_HIG_chapter_01.html#ID527

You are correct on UCSM you want to configure these ports as Uplink Ethernet Ports!

Now the reason you can't just connect another none ucs server to the fabric interconnect like you IBM server, is because the fabric interconnect does not work as a regular switch.   Only UCS server can be manage via the UCSM gui.

Please let me know if this helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card