Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference Between Cisco FlexFlash and FlexUtil

PPhot
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I  have an ESXi installed on a C220 M5 server.

The OS is installed on an SD card.

I can see that the server has both Cisco FlexFlash and FlexUtil and both show (CIMC) that they have a 32GB SD 

I recently bought a C220 m5 to be used as a secondary ESXi.

A mistake was made when ordering the server which did not include the UCS-MSTOR-SD connector.

From the new server's CIMC i can see that only the Cisco FlexUtil is available.

My question is:

Do I have to order only an SD card or do I have also add a controller for the card and what is the best practice?

Unfortunately I do not have physical access on the server as it is installed on a remote site. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

On M4 generation FlexFlash was used for both Utility (HUU, drivers, etc) function and OS/Hypervisor boot.

On M5 generation FlexFlash was split into two modules: FlexUtil micro SD card for Utility, and FlexFlash regular SD card for OS/Hypervisor.

FlexUtil is detailed here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/3_0/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_31/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_40_chapter_01010.html#concept_DB3A6755A5EE446E95BFCB81D76DF7DB

Reading through that page there does seem to be some crossover functionality causing confusion.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The M5 generation SD Cards do NOT show in CIMC due to there being nothing to configure.

Are you SURE that the SD Card controller and SD Cards were not ordered and are not physically installed?

(What is the SN? What shipped from Cisco in that server can be looked up.)

These modules sometimes come ajar during shipping and need to be physically seated to allow the OS to see/boot-from the SD Cards.

If you confirm that you DO need to order the parts. . .

You will need two PIDs to boot a M5 generation from SD card:

1. UCS-MSTOR-SD= SD module (holds up to 2 SD cards)
  2. UCS-SD-32G-S= 32 GB SD Card for UCS servers
    UCS-SD-64G-S= 64 GB SD Card for UCS servers
    UCS-SD-128G= 128GB SD Card for UCS servers

Grabbed the PIDs from the spec sheet: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c220m5-sff-specsheet.pdf

Hello Steven,

Thank you for your reply. I ordered the server so I'm sure I didn't order the PID you send me.

Please take a look in the attached image which show the diference of the 2 servers.

Can you specify what is the difference of Cisco FlexUtil and FlexFlash(missing from the new server)?

On M4 generation FlexFlash was used for both Utility (HUU, drivers, etc) function and OS/Hypervisor boot.

On M5 generation FlexFlash was split into two modules: FlexUtil micro SD card for Utility, and FlexFlash regular SD card for OS/Hypervisor.

FlexUtil is detailed here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/3_0/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_31/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_40_chapter_01010.html#concept_DB3A6755A5EE446E95BFCB81D76DF7DB

Reading through that page there does seem to be some crossover functionality causing confusion.

Thank you very much for your help Steven.

I will study the guide and contact Cisco for the addition of the controller and SD card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: