Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware Package best pratices... ???

delahais
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I do not understand the advantage(s) to use a host firmware policies.

It seems to me that it is more flexible to upgrades endpoints for each server with apply a maintenance policy "Uer Ack" in order to get "Pending Activies" for servers which need a reboot when we need tp upgrade firmware.

What is the best practices ?

I could see that Management Firmware Package  is not longer supported with UCS 2.1 ; all firmware package are drived via Hist Firmware Packages.

Last question, why do we have 2 package version for Set Bundle :

2.1(1a)A/2.1(1a)B, 2.0(3c)A/2.0(3c)B and so on..

best regards

Nicolas.

1 Reply 1

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Host firmware package policies are nice because you can guarantee that all server level firmware is the same for every server in the system. Another advantage is when new servers are added. If you install a new server it is probably going to come with a different firmware than your other servers but if you have a Host Firmware package assigned to a Service Profile template and you create a Service Profile for the new server from that template the new server will match your other servers.

Host firmware package policies are the only way to upgrade the BIOS of a server.

As for the bundles, all infrastructure components (FIs, IOM, UCSM) will be the .A and all server level firmware for B-Series will be the .B. C-Series will be .C

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card