Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to monitor service profile association

Frequently I find myself looking at the service profile association FSM output that is stuck for long time at particular step.  I would like to be able to look at finer details of the SP association with the server. I have syslog output set at debug level but this does not produce any useful output on that process. Also ability to stop that FSM of profile association would be useful.  I am certain that there is simple solution to both but my searches through UCS manuals return noting on these subjects.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Peter :)

If you would like to get more granular in reviewing logging while association is taking place etc, then you can actually tail the sam_dme logs while association is happening, etc. DME is responsible for orchestrating tasks "under the covers" of UCS.

UCS#connect local

UCS(local-mgmt)#tail svc_sam_dme

This is going to give you a ton of output, some of which is not that useful, but if you find that your server is stuck on a particular step, this log can typically provide a little insight on what is going on and where to look next. Make sure you log this to a file or increase the scroll back in your terminal window.

Unfortunately there is no way to really "stop" the FSM process, as it is an automated task, but you can always decomission the server if you would like to restart or if the task is hung.

About the Finite State Machine in Cisco UCS

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Peter :)

If you would like to get more granular in reviewing logging while association is taking place etc, then you can actually tail the sam_dme logs while association is happening, etc. DME is responsible for orchestrating tasks "under the covers" of UCS.

UCS#connect local

UCS(local-mgmt)#tail svc_sam_dme

This is going to give you a ton of output, some of which is not that useful, but if you find that your server is stuck on a particular step, this log can typically provide a little insight on what is going on and where to look next. Make sure you log this to a file or increase the scroll back in your terminal window.

Unfortunately there is no way to really "stop" the FSM process, as it is an automated task, but you can always decomission the server if you would like to restart or if the task is hung.

About the Finite State Machine in Cisco UCS

Super! This is what I was looking for. Thanks Wes!

small correction: the command to get local-mgmt prompt is: connect local

Now I assume that this tail output is just a circular log that is not kept on the FI - if only we could send it to syslog somehow then we could grep through it for specific blade/server etc.

Those logs are stored on the FI and you can generate a UCSM tech-support bundle to view them.

You will need to untar the bundle and look under /var/log/ to find the outputs.

I'll fix the typo in the previous post. Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card