Views
Helpful
Replies

HX Installer 5.0.2d make stretch cluster only see Site A or B servers

kahaso
Level 1
Level 1

I have got a problem creating HX stretch cluster v5
Got two sites with two Fabric Interconnects and two 240c servers each.
I have provisioned 2 servers in SiteA and two in SiteB. Servers deployed as v5.0.2c. Works fine.
Management IP of the four Fabric Interconnects and the resulting two USCM's are in some subnet.
Uplinks from Fabric Interconnects to common switch core is all fine and all needed vlans defined.

Now I want to combine them in a stretch cluster using HX Installer 5.0.2d (have tried 5.0.2c).

The name of the servers in SiteA becomes Server 1 and Server 2 after the initial USCM setup of server ports,
The name of the servers in SiteB becomes Server 1 and Server 2 after the initial USCM setup of server ports,

HX Installer succesfully creates first SiteA servers and then SiteB servers. All good so far.

After that i choose "Create Stretch Cluster" but HX Installer only see the two servers in SiteA OR in SiteB. When doing refresh it sometimes shows the A servers and sometimes B servers. Never all four servers. So I can not combine them into a stretch cluster.

I am running out of ideas about things to look for and Cisco documentation on stretch cluster is scarce.

/karsten

4 Replies 4

jhvillam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Karsten,

This can happen due to browser issues and it is documented via CSCwf76217. You can use  different browsers (I'd say even not supported browsers like Edge) to compare behavior seen. Also, do not forget to rule out the normal things like clearing cookies, cache and restarting your browser.

Let me know what result you get after that

Thank you.

I am running on a Mac and have tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari. Same problem.

Will be off for the next two weeks, but will try with Windows browsers when I am back again.

Just want to mention that my access to the setup is through a VPN to an ASA. 10-15ms ping time to the UCSM's

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @kahaso ,

I guess the first thing I'd look at is licencing.

Stretch clusters require HXDP Datacenter Premier licences, and since you seem to be converting two regular clusters, it is unlikely that they were purchased with the required licencing level, unless the original clusters had either

1. Software Encryption, or
  2. More compute only nodes than converged nodes (which you don't as per your description above)

See: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/HX-Ordering-and-Licensing-Guide/b_Cisco_HyperFlex_Systems_Ordering_and_Licensing_Guide/m_supported_features.html

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Licensing should be ok, but I will have to check. 40 clusters bought as 2+2 streched HX and most of them already deployed and working fine. My setup is an identical lab where we are "constantly" reinstalling the HX as part of installation testing and testing scripted installations.

Will be off for the next two weeks, but will catch up on the things when I am back again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card