cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing B200 M6 blades - firmware question

mdrudge
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about firmware with B200 M6 blades, and think I know the answer, but I want to verify and hope this might be helpful to someone else.  Right now we still have some B200 M3 blades in service in a couple of our domains (running 4.1.3e firmware), and we are scrambling to remove workloads off of them to be able to decom the blades, and install new B200 M6 blades.  I know that we have to upgrade our infrastructure firmware to version 4.2 in order to be able to identify the new blades.  Is it a problem if we install the new blades before the new firmware is upgraded, as long as we're not trying to use the servers?  So will we just get some annoying warning faults saying that the blades cannot be identified until we perform an infrastructure firmware upgrade, or are there other issues that I'm not thinking of?  Will having these blades cause problems with the infra upgrade?  On the flip side, if we have M3s still installed but not in use when we upgrade to 4.2, is it a problem to keep those M3s in their slots for a little bit?  One of our domains is in a remote location, so the firmware upgrades and blade installations may not exactly line up.  I'm hoping that we just get some warning faults but wanted to be sure and not learn the hard way.  Thanks so much!

1 Reply 1

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes your understanding is correct.

M3 and M6 generations can NOT be in the same UCS domain.

I'd suggest a second UCS Fabric Interconnect pair/domain to bring up the new M6 servers.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card