cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking at syslogs messages getting set_rtc_mmss: can't update from x to x - kernel

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Im just looking at the syslogs im getting from the fabrics.

I noticed alot of warning about :

%DAEMON-5-SYSTEM_MSG: time reset +0.257072 s - ntpd[5315]

%KERN-4-SYSTEM_MSG: set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 49 to 0 - kernel

%KERN-4-SYSTEM_MSG: set_rtc_mmss: nowtime=1339758026, save_control=0x82, save_freq_select=0x72 - kernel

To me it looks like the kernel complains when the time get updated by NTP. Someone have those entries in logs also?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Would help to have the version of UCSM you're running.

There's an open bug on a similar issue: CSCti71838   - %KERN-4-SYSTEM_MSG: set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 52 to 6 - kernel

It's a general Nexus OS NTP bug, not specific to UCS.  At this stage it appears purely cosmetic and does not affect the system.  The bug is still in the "new" state.  Please monitor the bug toolkit for updates.

Can you also check that the delta between the UCS current time and NTP server are less than 30min?

I'd suggest you open a quick TAC case, provide the output and request your case be linked to this bug.  This will increase the priority to have it resolved.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Would help to have the version of UCSM you're running.

There's an open bug on a similar issue: CSCti71838   - %KERN-4-SYSTEM_MSG: set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 52 to 6 - kernel

It's a general Nexus OS NTP bug, not specific to UCS.  At this stage it appears purely cosmetic and does not affect the system.  The bug is still in the "new" state.  Please monitor the bug toolkit for updates.

Can you also check that the delta between the UCS current time and NTP server are less than 30min?

I'd suggest you open a quick TAC case, provide the output and request your case be linked to this bug.  This will increase the priority to have it resolved.

Regards,

Robert

It is on UCSM 2.0(2r)

Thanks for the link on the new bug, I will check it out.

The actual time on the UCS is very close to the NTP server, less than 30 min of course .

I will open a TAC case once I get my cisco support emailed at the proper address.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card