Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate UCS chassis from one to another UCS Domain

boskokecman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have one UCS domain with two FI 6248UP and two UCS Chassis 5108 with 13 blade servers. First chassis have 8 and second have 5 blade servers. I need to migrate second chassis with 5 blade servers to another FI 6248UP cluster (another UCS domain). Can anyone suggest me what is the correct way to perform this migration with minimal service disruption. 

Best regards

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This process is disruptive; plan to do it during a maintenance window !

Moving the chassis and blades is the easiest part !

- is your OS installed on local disk or booted over SAN ?

- are you using native FC ?

Your mac/uuid/pwwn/nwwn pools are different on the target UCS domain ! therefore your service profiles have to be modified ! in case of FC, eventually zoning has to be modified, boot policy,...

- the chassis id must be changed as well (if overlap, or non contiguous)

Walter.

OS is installed on local disks. I am using native FC for connecting to storage device. No booting from SAN. 

Can I restore only logical configuration of the first UCS domain to another? What is happened with associated service profiles for all 5 servers on second chassis. I have one template from which we generate service profiles and associate to the servers. Do I need to migrate service profiles to another UCS domain and how? Is restoring logical configuration from first domain enough to preserve service profiles. 

We have 5 esxi host in a vmware cluster in production on those 5 servers. 

Thank you

Bosko 

Hi Bosko

There is no official procedure to migrate SP or SPTemplates between UCS domains (if you use UCS Central with global pools and global SP, yes it can be done).

I would create from scratch a SPTemplate on the target UCS domain, referring to the new pools.

Then derive SP from this template !

Anyway, it means that you will get new initiator pwwn's, and the zoning as well as lun masking / mapping has to changed as well.

I have done this several times ! it takes time ! specially the extensive testing after you believe everything is done !

Good luck !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card