cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration of servers in UCS

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Hi I am beginner with UCS. I just began to review UCS documents and watch some video. but i still has some confusion on it. After all connetions in UCS are completed, we are going to migrate host servers to UCS servers. My question is how we can migrate it? Are there any tools in UCS or others for this goal? 

6 Replies 6

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Migrate what kind of servers to UCS?

Are you asking how to lift an existing OS previously running on an HP, Dell, etc, on to a physical server in the UCSM?

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Once you have the basic server hardware/service profile configured, than you would use the virtual media to mount an ISO to install an OS via the vKVM.

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks @Kirk J for your reply! Actually I might not understand it yet. Here is my understanding to UCS. What UCS want to do is to get info(including mac, ip address etc) of external host server, and run it based on these info on UCS server, like blade. Is this correct? 

and then the external host server function need to migrate to UCS server? 

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you talking about guestVM servers, or Baremetal OS you are trying to transfer to UCS?

For physical servers, the MACs are usually burned in  based on the MFG (i.e. Intel, Broadcom, Marvell, etc)

Are you planning on using some sort of imaging tool to clone your OS from existing baremetal servers, and try to apply that to local disks on UCS servers?

Don't know enough about your environment to answer effectively.

Kirk...

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

@Kirk J 

Looks like I did not make it clear. sorry about it.

I am a beginner of UCS. so I just want to understand how UCS to work.Here is what I think about UCS. Can you correct me if I am wrong. 1. UCS function is to try to run almost all applications at the UCS servers. 2. so these applications like email app, web server running at external server should be migrated to UCS server.  Thanks

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UCS doesn't have any "lift and shift" process which seems to be what you are asking for.

You will have to deploy the OS on the UCS servers (just like any other server).

After the OS is deployed, then the application/data will need to be migrated (just like any other server).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card