cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus N5k & N2k topology help

Balteck
Level 1
Level 1

hello, I'm a little entity that is building a rack with 5 esxi 6.5U1 hosts in vsan with vDS as virtual to physical network.

Each hosts have a dual 10Gb SFP+ nic for vSAN VLAN, vMotion VLAN and high traffic VM Network VLANS and a quad 1Gb RJ45 nic for low traffic/internet VM Network VLANs, Management Network (native VLAN) and NAS Network VLAN.

I've configured 2 VMware vDistributed switch with LBT and NIOC (one for 10 Gb and one for 1Gb) for every VLANs

My reseller offered me 2 refurbished Nexus 5010P and 2 Nexus 2148T at good price.

With these switches is it possible to have a reduntant configuration in HA?

I've found a picture in a blog that is similar to wish I like (except that I have only one NAS connected to 1gb network and LBT+NIOC for every VLAN)

vSphere 5 - 10GbE & 1Gb Hybrid SegmentedNetworks Ent Plus Design v1_1.jpg

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes, this might work if you are only doing layer 2 switching. The limitations with N5K-5020 is they only do layer 2 and are EoL/EoS:

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Nexus 5010 and Nexus 5020 Switches

I know that they are EoL/EoS, that's why I got a very good price.

Anyway I think that 5.2.1 is enough stable and it is a good deal.

Layer 3 is done with a Sonicwall NSA3500. I think to connect one port to Nexus 2k for Gigabit VLANs routing to internet and with a transceiver to Nexus 5k on any of first 8 ports for 10GB VLANs routing to internet.

Because I have 4 switch, can I connect one sonicwall (HA active) to first 2 and the other Sonicwall (HA passive) to second 2?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card