Views
Helpful
Replies

NIM E-Series NCE, console cable, PC

leam2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My question is about connecting a NIM E-Series NCE to a PC via a console cable and the management port.

NIM E-SERIES NCE
Management port (port 2) (see image 1 below)
|
|
Console cable (see image 2 below)
|
|
PC

The settings for the connection via "hyperterminal" are:

COM1
Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop bit: 1
Flow control: hardware

Nothing appears on the screen.
Is it normal?

Thank you for your help.
Best regards.

Image 1 - Front Panel of the NIM E-Series NCEImage 1 - Front Panel of the NIM E-Series NCE

Image 2 - Cisco Rollover Console Cable, Blue DB9 to RJ45Image 2 - Cisco Rollover Console Cable, Blue DB9 to RJ45

4 Replies 4

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IIRC, the UCS-E series does not have a console port. You use the KVM to configure the CIMC and the management port is used for host connectivity.

To configure the console of the NIM itself, you would console into the router and connect to it.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/e/3-1-1/gs/guide/b_Getting_Started_Guide/b_3_x_Getting_Started_Guide_chapter_01000.pdf

Hello,
Thank you for your answer.
I already do both things, connecting to the UCS via CIMC and KVM and also through the ISR CLI.
I do not understand what you mean by "the management port is used for host connectivity".
I do not understand what port 2 (image below) is useful for.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards.

NIM E-Series NCE - Port 2NIM E-Series NCE - Port 2

> Did it solve your problem? 

Hello.

The answer wasn't very clear to me.

I concluded that I couldn't use the console port (number 2 on the images I posted earlier) to connect an hyperterminal to it.

I concluded that the port wasn't functional (not implemented yet on the NIM E-Series NCE).

But I'm not sure about that because the answer wasn't clear to me.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card