Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No local storage for SAN Boot

Hello,

Here is the scenatio I have. Once, I had only local disks in my B22 servers. Those disks were configured for RAID0 (space required). I installed Win 2012 with Hyper-V there. Now, we have the EMC VNX5300 storage. I created new SP which boots Win 2012 from SAN. However, I wanted to leave existing local drives untouched (for some time). I created a local disk policy using No Local Storage mode. Unfortunately, the SP does not associate, saying that local disk policy is inconsistent and "there are not sufficient overall resources". The policy assigned previously to those disks was Raid 0 with Protect Configuration unchecked. It seems that I cannot use No Local Storage is there are disks present, is that true? If not, can I tell SP not to use local disks? Of course, I configured the same policy as before, and used Boot from SAN, but Win 2012 can see local disks, whichI don't want, to make sure nothing happens to that data.

Best regards,

Krzysztof

3 Replies 3

richard.pugh
Level 1
Level 1

The issue is that the "No Local Storage" setting in the policy is looking for a blade with no local storage. You can create a raid set if there are still local drives in the blade. In order to boot from SAN you just need to make sure your Boot Policy does not have local disk within it and a SAN Boot with WWN for Primary and Secordary configured.

It's not the problem with booting from SAN. The OS boots properly from SAN, and local storage is not included in Boot Order. The issue is that when the OS boots, it has an access to local disks, and I don't want that as data could be accidently deleted. Is it possible to tell SP to ignore local storage completely, just like there were no local disks at all?

Negative, you just need to slide the disks out of the blade a little.

Another option is to possibly create a bios policy and see if there is a setting to turn off the LSI controller.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card