cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Non-original memory and SmartNet

wlodzimierz
Level 1
Level 1

Please help me find answers to questions.

Will the SmartNet contract be valid for UCS purchased from an authorized reseller but equipped with a mix of original and non-original memory?

Will the SmartNet contract cover the entire server and its components?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WARNING:  Installing a non-Cisco branded/approved component can, potentially, invalidate the warranty of the appliance. 

How important is this UCS platform?  If it is important, do not take un-necessary risk with 3rd party, non-Cisco-branded components.  

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. A valid contract is valid.

No. SmartNet will only cover the components sold by Cisco.

You are implying 3rd party components invalidate the warranty but that is incorrect.

Please read the warranty regarding 3rd party components:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/warranties/warranty-doc-c99-740959.html#_Toc55311888

Parts/DIMMs from a 3rd party are supported by that 3rd party and not by Cisco. The rest of the Cisco parts are supported by Cisco.

Steven, thank you for your attention to my questions!

Please give me a hint.

If for UCS with SmartNet contract, with non-original memory installed, a memory failure will lead to breakdown of the server or its components, will this case be covered by SmartNet contact?

The warranty doc answers your question (I think).

There are few scenarios I can imagine;
1) 3rd party DIMMs installed in a server. 3rd party DIMMs fail. You work with 3rd party for replacement.

2) 3rd party DIMMs installed in a server. DIMM slot and / or motherboard fails. The failure is attributed to be caused by the 3rd party DIMM. This is covered in the warranty doc.

3) 3rd party DIMMs installed in a server. DIMM slot and / or motherboard fails. The failure is NOT attributed to be caused by the 3rd party DIMM. This is covered in the warranty doc.

4) 3rd party DIMMs installed in a server. You work with TAC for something unrelated to DIMMs/Memory/Motherboard. Then TAC should not refuse service.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card