cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to boot up servers - no connectivity with IOM

KeithA-Vegas
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UCS 5108 with M4 blades and 2204XP, connected to a single 6296FI.  This is a lab environment.  Had it up and running, but due to a power issue in the room had to shut it down.  I am trying to bring it back up and now am not able to boot up any of the servers. 

IO Module 1 is showing: [FSM:STAGE:FAILED]: Resetting Chassis Management Controller on IOM 1/1(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentIOCardResetCmc:Execute) and [FSM:STAGE:REMOTE-ERROR]: Result: end-point-unavailable Code: unspecified Message: no connection to MC endpoint(sam:dme:EquipmentIOCardResetCmc:Execute).

IO Module 2 is showing: [FSM:STAGE:FAILED]: Resetting Chassis Management Controller on IOM 1/2(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentIOCardResetCmc:Execute)

Server 1/1 (the only one fully seated at the moment) shows: Server 1/1 (service profile: org-root/ls-LAB-ESXi01) discovery: failed, [FSM:STAGE:FAILED]: getting inventory of server 1/1 via CIMC(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:ComputeBladeDiscover:BmcInventory) and [FSM:STAGE:REMOTE-ERROR]: Result: end-point-unavailable Code: unspecified Message: no connection to MC endpoint(sam:dme:ComputeBladeDiscover:BmcInventory)

Need to get help with this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Never seen two IOM connected to a single FI. If you reseat the IOM 1 and unseat IOM 2, configured the links for IOM 1 as server ports, it should bring the IOM back online and allow it to discover your server.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Never seen two IOM connected to a single FI. If you reseat the IOM 1 and unseat IOM 2, configured the links for IOM 1 as server ports, it should bring the IOM back online and allow it to discover your server.

So you are supposed to plug all 4 ports from IOM 1 to the same FI?  If that is the case, that is fine, I can do that.  I thought that it would be better to split them 2 and 2.  I will be adding another FI later to this.  I will do as you suggested and pull both and just put IOM 1 back in.

You should be cabling IOM 1 to one Fabric Interconnect and then IOM 2 to the other Fabric Interconnect. If it was working before, thats fine, but it will definitely cause issues down the road. Once you get your server back up with single FI and single IOM, hold off on installing the IOM 2 until you get the second FI.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card