cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Capability catalog & Power Policy !!

andyblada1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

1.) One of my ucs infra is running on UCSM Version : 2.1(3c) & Capability catalog : 2.1(3f)t.

In which i have installed 2 new  B200 M3 blade servers (2* Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2680 v2) 

Post installation “invalid FRU for DIMM xx” warning messages reported in UCSM for all DIMM slots.

After analysis came to know that  DIMM of vendor 0xAD00 (Hynix Semiconductor Inc) model no. HMT42GR7BFR4C-RD is not available in Capability catalog : 2.1(3f)t. 

So my question is due to invalid FRU Waring message it is not reflecting in Capability catalog 

OR

model no. HMT42GR7BFR4C-RD is not available in Capability catalog : 2.1(3f)t. that's why Waring message is there. Which statement is true??

And to which Capability catalog i have to upgrade .

2.) Also, if i want to change the power policy from "N+1" to "Grid" . What will be the impact? Any downtime window?

3 Replies 3

Niko Nikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Andy,

So for question one. What the invalid FRU message is telling you is that UCSM attempted to read the PID (product ID) from a device and then compared it to it's known list of PIDs (the capability catalog). When it did this comparison it did not find the PID in the capability catalog, so it reports it as an invalid FRU. 

Essentially it cannot tell what that device/component is. 

If you know the PID for your DIMM you can usually do a find on the different release note pages to locate where that PID was added to the catalog.

For question two, I don't believe this should have any impact. Just to be sure I went ahead and changed the policy in my lab environment and saw no issues there (all my blades that were online remained online).

--

Niko

Thank you for your response Niko.

But in my case PID , Vendor name nothing is coming up.

Only getting vendor code i.e. 0xAD00 and model HMT42GR7BFR4C-RD, which i collected from commands

scope server xx/x

show memory details 

how to get the PID ??

Andy,

That's fine.

You could remove one of the DIMMs and it should have the product ID on the label on the side of it. Or if you have the sales order for them, then it should be listed on the sales order.

--

Niko

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card