Views
Helpful
Replies

Raid 10 to Raid 1

RolandJanus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have a C220-M4L with 4 HDD disks configured as Raid 10 with two partitions.

Now I want to move to a Raid 1 with 2 SSD instead, the remaining 2 HDDs would be removed.

Is that possible without rebuilind the server, in particular re-installing the OS?

regards, roland

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

As you generally can't mix SSD and tradition HD in the same raid volume, you are limited to using some sort of partition cloner app that creates an image file backup,,, insert new drives, create new raid volume/VD, and the boot up your cloner application and write the image back out to the new SDD base virtual drive.

Googling 'OS partition cloner' will return results like (but not limited to):

Acronis

Paragon Drive Copy

Clonezilla

etc,etc,etc

BTW, I'm not promoting any specific product listed above,, those are just among the common google hits you'll get currently.

Kirk...

Hi,

thanks.

I thought that this might be the only solution, besides re-installing.

cheers, roland

I have a follow up on this.

I want to replace those 4 (slow) SAS HDD drives with 2 (or 4) SSD.

Not being really a server guy I'm confused on what models I can use (I don't plan to use Cisco, sorry, to expensive and since this is a lab server I'm not concerned about warranty)

I assume I either have to use SATA (compatible with SAS but not as good) or use SAS again.

Can I mix SAS and SATA?

Most drives are SATA (2.5) SSDs. Some say SAS but have a complete different connector (single small one)

Could I use that one:

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/hpe-p09090-b21-800gb-25-35-bracket-ssd-11569620?tagIds=76-535

regards, roland

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card