Views
Helpful
Replies

Rebuild Raid1 with Different Speed of HDD

makpith
Level 1
Level 1

Dears

i want to make a rebuild to raid 1 on my UCS server because this HDD will be out of warranty coverage 

My current configuration 

two HDD 1 TB RPM 7K in raid group (Raid 1)

i want your opinion for the below 

rebuild the raid 1 with 1 HDD with 7K Speed and 1 with 10 Speed

after rebuilding the 7K to 10K i want to make sure that when I replace all HDD to 10 K my currrent raid configuration will be 10 K 

or one 7K and the other 10 K

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The process you are describing is not really an official process, so I don't have an official doc to point to.  Other than waiting till VD is healthy after replacing a drive, before swapping the next one.

The speed of the drive (RPM) is just an attribute of the drive that determines how fast a drive can seek and read/write data.  There's nothing that needs to be configured in a raid volume/VD relative to the RPMs.  You should be matching the SAS speeds (i.e. 6Gb, 12Gb,)and shouldn't intermix drives of those different types.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Should temporarily work, provided, the replacement drives are supported, recognized drives that have the same general specs (i.e. block size, sata, sas)

You definitely want the drives matching as your overall speeds will be the lowest common denominator.

Kirk...

Dear Kirk J

thanks for the fast reply

about this Answer: You definitely want the drives matching as your overall speeds will be the lowest common denominator.

1. after the rebuild the first one that has 7k speed and will replace all the HDD with 10 K speed

after all, configuration done, is the raid controller will detect the new speed and changed in the configuration 

is there any guide to how to or the best practise 

The process you are describing is not really an official process, so I don't have an official doc to point to.  Other than waiting till VD is healthy after replacing a drive, before swapping the next one.

The speed of the drive (RPM) is just an attribute of the drive that determines how fast a drive can seek and read/write data.  There's nothing that needs to be configured in a raid volume/VD relative to the RPMs.  You should be matching the SAS speeds (i.e. 6Gb, 12Gb,)and shouldn't intermix drives of those different types.

Kirk...

is there any step by step guide to start rebuid 

do I have to mark the new HDD to unconfigured stated and new mark as hot-spare to start rebuilding 

where can I found the progress of rebuild 

do I have to mark the new HDD to unconfigured stated and new mark as hot-spare to start rebuilding 

where can I found the progress of the rebuild 

Ideally, the replacement drive should have started rebuilding on its own.  However, I have seen a number of cases where you do need to configure the newer replacement drive as the hotspare, as you have already suggested.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card