cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SAN Pin Groups

Terry MacDougal
Level 1
Level 1

A customer of mine has asked about SAN Pin Groups for connectivity to upstream Brocades. My preference has been to create vSAN's and assign multiple uplinks from each fabric to the upstream Brocades as they don't recognize vSAN's but only NPIV, thus doing a simple round-robin. So for my own knowledge I went into the lab and created a pin group and noticed you can only select 1 interface per Fabric.

So the question is:

Using Pin Groups, I can't assign all 4 uplinks from Fabric A to 1 Pin Group correct? Each Pin Group only allows 1 interface per Fabric?

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct.  You could set a pin group interface to that of a San Port Channel - assuming the upstream SAN switch supported san port channels...

LAN/SAN Pin groups are each intended to have single member interfaces, not multple.  

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.1/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_011000.html

Pin groups can cause more headaches than their worth.  Unless you have a unique design requirement for them I'd stick to dynamic pinning.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert....

I don't think Brocades support the SAN Port Channel........

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card