Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 2.1 - WWxN Pool

Does anybody any idea where can we use WWxN Pool? Can this be used during Service profile template creation?

And how different it is compared to WWPN and WWNN Pools?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's a combined pool where both WWNN and WWPN resources will be pulled.  Since most administrators don't really use/reference the WWNN often (most zoning done via WWPN) we added a pool to just pull both resource from one generic WWxN pool instead.

The pool should be populated with muiltples of N+1 where N is the # of vHBA's per service profile - plus one additional for the WWNN.

Ex.  If you normally create service profiles with 2 vHBAs (most common) then the WWxN pool size should be multiples of 3.   (two resources for the WWPNs, and one for the WWNN)

Regards,

Robert

Thank you Robert. Can this be used against vHBA template and Service profile template?

Yes.  Once you create the WWxN pools they will be available as a node name selection for Profiles & templates under the normal WWNN or WWPN selection screens.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks again. But when I am creating a vHBA template, I don't see option of WWxN pool under the dropdown? I am missing anything?

This is the first time I've played with these - so bare with me.  I'm testing as I go here

So the way these silly things work is when you are chosing your WWNN pool - you set it to your WWXN pool (which should be an option in the drop down).  The WWPNs, should be set to "derived".  This essentially tells UCSM to "derive" the WWPN values based on the based WWNN assignement (which will be the same WWxN pool).  **This assumes you're adding a vHBA manually  - and not via a vHBA template.

Now, as I've just found out, when you create a vHBA template it doesn't give the option of "derived" when setting the WWPNs.  It doesn't appear to work correctly if we want to leverage a vHBA template within the service profile template. 

I'm going to open up a few enhancements on this to correct the behavior...its not functioning in an intuitive or correct behavior in my opinion.

Let me confirm with engineering to ensure we're trying to use them correctly.  I'll get back to you within 24hrs.

Robert

Update.  I've logged a few internal bugs to improve the functionality and usability of WWxN pools.  They will be tentatively fixed in the 2nd Maintenance Release of version 2.1 due out later in the year.

Regards,

Robert

Thank you for the update Robert.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card