cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Storage Connectivity Questions - C220 M4

Austin Harsh
Level 1
Level 1

I need to plug in more SAS connected disks to my C220 M4S server and I just have two questions.

First is, I noticed there are two SFF-8087 ports on the board but it doesn't look they support SAS (Cisco Documentation specifically says SATA only), however looking at the Intel C610 specs it looks like I might be able to purchase a hardware key to upgrade to 8 SAS disk support (RKSAS8). Would I be able to purchase this hardware key to unlock SAS connectivity? Or are these hardware locked into being SATA only?

If those ports are definitely SATA only, I would need to purchase a SAS card. My question here is if I purchase, let's say a LSI 9300-8e off of ebay, would that card be supported? Or would i have to buy a CISCO LSI 9300-8e card? (And by supported I mean that the card is identified in the BIOS so that the correct power and cooling profile is used, instead of being overridden by it being id as unknown)

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

The embedded software raid controller on the C220 M4 only supports Sata type disks regardless of the hardware key (that unlocks additional raid capabilities).

So as to your non-Cisco PID question,,, who ever you purchase your LSI 9300-8e raid controller from, is who you call for raid controller/storage support questions.  TAC will typically ask you to remove the non-Cisco parts during your troubleshooting call if the problem you are calling in on has anything potentially to do with the 3 party add-in device.

The CIMC would 'probably' recognize the card, and correctly profile it.  While based on the firmware releases from LSI/Avago/Broadcom, the UCS firmware for the raid cards can have tweaks and customizations that enhance the behavior/performance of the cards in the UCS environment.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Kind of figured that about the onboard ports. I'll probably just pick up a card from ebay and see how it goes.

Thanks for reply and for your time!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card