cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C200 M2 Hang up at Platform testing

Boonehockey12
Level 1
Level 1

New to working on servers and looking for advice.

Start server (UCS C200 M2) up and it stalls at this screen.

"Configuring and testing memory, please wait...complete

Configuring and testing platform hardware..."

I have tried to do a BIOS rescue, however, I am not sure if I completed this properly. I got it to recognize the rescue capsule, but it didn't boot off of the USB. I turned it off and moved the jumper back, fired it back up and got the same hang up.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you never configured the CIMC, then you will probably not be able to set it as the F8 CIMC config utility doesn't popup till after the Mem test/config check that is hanging up on you now.

You may also want to remove the CR2032 CMOS battery for a couple of minutes..

Again, I would remove all but the minimum dimms  (which should be A1, D1 assuming you have two processors), and any add in PCI-E cards.  If you can get past the problem point, please setup the cimc via the F8, so you can assign an IP address, and have out of band access, see errors/alerts, etc.  Assuming the PSUs are connected to power source, the CIMC is accessible even when the server is powered off.

Then start putting equipment back in, until you have isolated which component is causing the hang.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C200M1/install/c200M1.pdfc200m2-cmosbatt.JPG

Kirk...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you still have access to the CIMC interface, I would attempt a CMOS reset.

Also, check the SEL log to see if there are any alerts for bad DIMMs, Processors, etc.

You may need to resort to removing hardware (i.e. PCI-E cards, and all but minimal dimms) to see what is causing the hang during post.

Kirk...

Can you access the CIMC before getting to the BIOS?

If you never configured the CIMC, then you will probably not be able to set it as the F8 CIMC config utility doesn't popup till after the Mem test/config check that is hanging up on you now.

You may also want to remove the CR2032 CMOS battery for a couple of minutes..

Again, I would remove all but the minimum dimms  (which should be A1, D1 assuming you have two processors), and any add in PCI-E cards.  If you can get past the problem point, please setup the cimc via the F8, so you can assign an IP address, and have out of band access, see errors/alerts, etc.  Assuming the PSUs are connected to power source, the CIMC is accessible even when the server is powered off.

Then start putting equipment back in, until you have isolated which component is causing the hang.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C200M1/install/c200M1.pdfc200m2-cmosbatt.JPG

Kirk...

I did get it working.

I did the following things to it before trying it.

Blew all the dirt and dust out.
Removed PCI graphics card.
Replaced CMOS battery.

Thank you for all your help!

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

+1 to what Kirk said. You likely have a failed DIMM.

Try to remove down to the minimum config or check the SEL logs for any DIMM failure messages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card