cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Central and UCSPE time sync

Matthew Crocker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am having problems setting up a lab environment using UCS Central 1.1(2a) and UCSPE 2.2(1b). I understand I need time sync to work between the 2 components but when setting up my timezones and NTP server, UCSPE will not update to my local time. UCS Central when I login has it set correctly to my local time but UCSPE does not. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

btereick
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Matt -

You are correct. Time for UCS Central and UCSM (including the UCS Platform Emulator) must be synchronized before registration to UCS Central. This is normally straightforward, but the UCS Platform Emulator does introduce a minor difference to the approach used with an actual UCSM instance running on real hardware. The NTP setting provided in the UCSM GUI will be passed to the underlying CentOS running the emulator and CentOS will resolve the time from the Internet-based time source. Since this time server setting is Internet-based, the UCSPE must have a valid path to the Internet (with a valid gateway address). If your UCSPE has a valid path to this Internet-based time-source, the time will be synchronized.

Note: UCS Central must have synchronized time as well; so, a valid time-source for UCS Central is highly recommended before attempting registration of a UCS domain.

My guess is that your emulator instance does not have a valid path to the Internet-based NTP server. In addition, you may want to try rebooting your UCSPE VM. Note: If you restart your UCSPE VM, you will want to ensure that you have DB Persistence turned on.

Good luck!

Brad

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

btereick
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Matt -

You are correct. Time for UCS Central and UCSM (including the UCS Platform Emulator) must be synchronized before registration to UCS Central. This is normally straightforward, but the UCS Platform Emulator does introduce a minor difference to the approach used with an actual UCSM instance running on real hardware. The NTP setting provided in the UCSM GUI will be passed to the underlying CentOS running the emulator and CentOS will resolve the time from the Internet-based time source. Since this time server setting is Internet-based, the UCSPE must have a valid path to the Internet (with a valid gateway address). If your UCSPE has a valid path to this Internet-based time-source, the time will be synchronized.

Note: UCS Central must have synchronized time as well; so, a valid time-source for UCS Central is highly recommended before attempting registration of a UCS domain.

My guess is that your emulator instance does not have a valid path to the Internet-based NTP server. In addition, you may want to try rebooting your UCSPE VM. Note: If you restart your UCSPE VM, you will want to ensure that you have DB Persistence turned on.

Good luck!

Brad

Guys, I am having the EXACT same problem...even though I have a good NTP (Internet) server in UCSM.....

It will not update....and I have a 4 minute negative bias in time......that's preventing proper registration with UCSC.

-Matt

You could try giving UCSM a gentle kick.  From the UCS Central Best Practice Guide:

UCSM can be forced to sync with NTP immediately, by setting the NTP Server in Admin tab, followed by attempting to set clock from the CLI with the following sequence:

• - “scope system”
  • - “scope services”
  • - “set clock x x x x x”    (Ex: “set clock may 22 2013 13 44 00”)

A message should follow, indicating “Clock synchronization successful”, with UCSM time reflecting the change.  Next registration attempt should then succeed.

Hope this helps,

-Jeff

I’ll try this Jeff….Thanks…

Regards,

Matt

Matthew Faiello

ARCHITECT.SOLUTIONS

Datacenter Virtualization & Cloud Practice

**edited by Moderator to remove private contact information

Hi Jeff….yes, tried this manual sync once again….

I do not get a “Clock Sync Success” message in the CLI, just a carriage return…and, the time does not reflect, update in UCSM…..

Matthew Faiello

ARCHITECT.SOLUTIONS

Datacenter Virtualization & Cloud Practice

mfaiello@cisco.com<mailto:mfaiello@cisco.com>

Phone: +1 727 540 1432

Mobile: +1 813 924 9007

Cisco.com<http://www.cisco.com/>

Cisco Domain TenSM<http://www.cisco.com/go/domainten> drives successful Cloud and IT Transformation.

Video<http://youtu.be/AZVO8meEOCo> | Interactive White Paper<http://www.cisco.com/assets/services/cloud/cisco-domain-ten/index1.html>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: