Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS chasis ,FI and server compability

orcun usturali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all ,

ı am trying to search for the compability between B-series Servers,BladeChasiss and IOMs ,but i am not yet succesffull.

I found the tool (https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/) for interoperability ,but cannot found what i am looking for.

My question is, can we add new B-series UCS servers to our old C6508 chasiss .In that old UCS environment we had,2 6248FI and also 2208-IOMS .we have B22m3 ,B200m3 and B200M4 running in this chassis with an old firmware (3.2c)

Thanks alot 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to check the UCS Manager release notes:

TL;DR new M6 can NOT co-exist with M3.

M3 support is removed with UCSM 4.2. (10 year old servers are 10 year old servers)

M6 require Fabric Interconnects 6300+ and UCSM 4.2.

You can add new M5 blades and use UCSM 4.1 with your existing blades.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to check the UCS Manager release notes:

TL;DR new M6 can NOT co-exist with M3.

M3 support is removed with UCSM 4.2. (10 year old servers are 10 year old servers)

M6 require Fabric Interconnects 6300+ and UCSM 4.2.

You can add new M5 blades and use UCSM 4.1 with your existing blades.

orcun usturali
Level 1
Level 1

thanks Steven

I didint noticed that i had to look ant the Relase notes for compability stuff, 

One more question to ask, ıs there any correlation between the IOMS in the Chasiss and the blade servers interoperability ?

thanks

Most of this is also scattered in the release notes. I usually ctrl+f for "2208" or whatever part.

The Chassis are NOT end of support (other that UCS X series) (and the guides which state ChassisV1 is EoSale not EoSupport).

The IOMs and FI and blades support combinations are on the table:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/CiscoUCSManager-RN-4-1.html#reference_fhl_gxd_gkb

Some older releases require intermediate upgrades, but looks like 3.2(3x) can go straight to 4.1(3x):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Firmware-Mgmt/4-1/b_UCSM_GUI_Firmware_Management_Guide_4-1/b_UCSM_GUI_Firmware_Management_Guide_4-1_chapter_01.html#concept_y2l_v11_qjb

Wait you said "3.2c" which isn't a version. What is your exact version? 3.2(1x) and 3.2(2x) DO require an intermediate upgrade per the above link.

Thanks for all Steven ;

Our old chasiss is in version   3.2(3c) ,

Your help is so good ,again thanks for this. 

But for Cisco side, i think this way of searching the devices compability and interoperability is so complicated . ( maybe for me )

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card