cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS fabric interconnect migration (FC ports)

nflnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

we are migrating a pair of 6200 series FI's to a pair of 6454 FI's. 

I have a question about the Port allocation for Fiber Channel specifically. 

On the 6200 we are using the last 4 ports (29,30,31,32) for connectivity to an upstream MDS switch ( via 8Gb/s FC) 

On the 6454 It appears as though FC is only supported on the first 8 ports (ports 1-8) 

Can anyone explain to me how this is handled during the migration process?

Will these ports be moved automatically or do i need to manually reconfigure? Any tips or trcik / best practices would be a very much appreciated!

Thanks, 

10 Replies 10

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would recommend reviewing these guides - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Fabric-Interconnect-Migration/4-0/b_Migrating_from_6200_to_6400/b_Migrating_from_6200_to_6400_chapter_010.html 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Fabric-Interconnect-Migration/4-1/b_Migrating_from_6200_to_6400_4_1.pdf 

-------

Port Configuration Mismatch On Cisco UCS 6400 Series Fabric Interconnects, the Unified Port capability is restricted to first 16 ports. Only ports 1/1-1/16 can be configured as FC. The FC ports must be contiguous, followed by contiguous Ethernet ports. On UCS6200SeriesFabric Interconnects, all ports have the UnifiedPort capability. All ports can be configured as Ethernet or FC. The Ethernet ports must be contiguous, followed by contiguous FC ports. FC ports appear towards the end of the module. During cluster addition, the ports that are mismatched will be un-configured.

-------

Connect these cables into the corresponding ports on one of the new Cisco UCS 6400 Series Fabric Interconnects, using the connection records to preserve the port mapping and the configured server pinning. To change the port mapping, especially while reconfiguring FC ports, you must reacknowledge the newly configured ports.

@Wes Austin 

I did review those guides it mentions "To change the port mapping, especially while reconfiguring FC ports, you must reacknowledge the newly configured ports."

However it does not provide any further detail on this . 

When exactly during the migration process would i change port mappings and how would i do this?

(i know it needs to be done , I'm just not sure how to do it) 

You will un-configure all the interfaces on the 6200 before you move over to the 6400. Then you can plugin and configure the unified FC/Eth ports on your 6400.

• Before migrating from Cisco UCS 6200 Series Fabric Interconnects to Cisco UCS 6400 Series Fabric Interconnects, ensure that you unconfigure the unified ports on the Cisco UCS 6200 Series Fabric Interconnects. After migrating to Cisco UCS 6400 Series Fabric Interconnects, reconfigure the unified ports based on their location on the Cisco UCS6400SeriesFabric Interconnects, and reacknowledge the newly configured ports. For example, a unified port on a UCS 6248 Fabric Interconnect should be reconfigured on any port between 1 and 16 on a Cisco UCS 6400 Series Fabric Interconnect.

@Wes Austin 

"reacknowledge the newly configured port"

How to do this exactly?

You just re-configure it as an FC/Eth port. Nothing to "re-acknowledge" per say, rather re-configure. The wording is a little confusing. 

@Wes Austin 

So let me get this straight...

I unconfigure all the unified ports on the 6248 (subordinate)  then power it off

then connect my 6454 and power it up . 

The next thing i do is configure/define which ports will be FC /ETH?

Then I have to recreate my port-channels and assign VLAN's etc. manually?

Is that correct?

What exactly is being migrated then?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Fabric-Interconnect-Migration/4-1/b_Migrating_from_6200_to_6400_4_1/b_Migrating_from_6200_to_6400_4_1_chapter_011.html 

The new subordinate Cisco UCS 6400 Series Fabric Interconnect will automatically synchronize the configuration and database/state information from the primary UCS 6200 Series Fabric Interconnect.

Synchronization between primary and subordinate Fabric Interconnects can take several minutes. You may see an error message that will persist until the server ports are enabled.

@Wes Austin 

LOL you just gonna keep reposting excerpts from that article?

I've read it. It's a little VAGUE to be honest . 

"automatically synchronize the configuration"

This is a very VAGUE statement. Am I wrong?

The article has answers to your questions, although I will agree they are not overly explained in detail, they should be enough for you to complete the procedure. If you are not comfortable doing this, we have paid services available that will plan and conduct the procedure for you.

The configuration that is "migrated" is the database from one fabric interconnect to the other. There are some setting, like the FC ports, that do not map 1:1 between the 6200 and 6400 which you will need to configure manually. If you still have any doubts or run into any issues during the migration, I would recommend engaging Cisco TAC for assistance.

@Wes Austin 

"I will agree they are not overly explained in detail"

My point has been made. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card